Odd Hen - Hasn’t Molted and Lays Soft Shelled Eggs ...

CalBickieMomma

Crowing
Jul 27, 2019
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Hello everyone!

I have a question about one of my RIRs. She’ll be 2 years old next month and she has yet to molt from last year. Right now, she’s a ragged mess (from when my big Buff Orpington roo was in with the flock). I removed him last March (2020) so I know she hasn’t molted since then. My other RIR was also late to molt (think she finally molted in January), but Eloise still looks awful.

Another thing is she’s been laying soft-shelled eggs, and in fact I had to bring her in tonight because she was acting ill and was lethargic. She seemed to be trying to get something out of her vent, so I gave her a warm epsom salt bath and she passed two eggs (one thin shelled and broken open, the other shrunken and wrinkled). She perked up a bit after passing the eggs, and I’ll check on her again before bed.

Anyway, other than the mild lethargy tonight, she always acts normal and active, even bossy with the other girls (so I haven’t really worried about her). But I’m wondering what her issue is - why hasn’t she molted and why is she laying soft eggs (and sometimes at night from the perch ...)?

Could it be some genetic thing? A deficiency (I can’t let them free range, but they have about 13 sq fr per chicken in their coop/run and I don’t give them lay pellets (I have a bantam roo in with them and have read the lay pellets can damage a roo’s liver)). They get a blend of All Flock, Feather Fixer (started mixing this in during late winter) and have also just started mixing in Game Bird crumble for a protein boost. They have access to oyster shell with dried, crushed chicken egg shells mixed in. I give them greens and fruit as often as I can and they get lots of attention from their Mama Chicken.

Has anyone else had this issue? I’ll include a few pictures of Eloise. In the group picture she’s the RIR on the bottom with the missing feathers.

Thanks!!

7078BFCB-0E45-43ED-833D-7739ABAF0B01.jpeg C35375BF-D3A0-430D-9537-4721BDDDE45E.jpeg

I've had several hens that have skipped their first molt or molted so little as to not be noticeable and looked even worse than your Eloise. They did finally molt in the next fall and looked fabulous.
Eloise may be having some issues processing the calcium. Or not eating enough.
I've gone as far as to mix a handful of OS in with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt and put little dots of that around the run on boards for them to eat. I'd do that two or three times a week when I had a batch of pullets that just weren't getting the point of the OS.
For her, try offering her a calcium tablet (calcium citrate tends to be easier for the body to process) once a day for a week. Many hens will just pluck it out of your hand and eat it without any fuss at all. You'd just have to move her to a place the others couldn't steal the calcium tablet before she had a chance to decide if she wanted to eat it on her own. If she won't, just pop it in her mouth and she'll swallow it.

I've had several hens that have skipped their first molt or molted so little as to not be noticeable and looked even worse than your Eloise. They did finally molt in the next fall and looked fabulous.
I've gone as far as to mix a handful of OS in with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt and put little dots of that around the run on boards for them to eat. I'd do that two or three times a week when I had a batch of pullets that just weren't getting the point of the OS.
For her, try offering her a calcium tablet (calcium citrate tends to be easier for the body to process) once a day for a week. Many hens will just pluck it out of your hand and eat it without any fuss at all. You'd just have to move her to a place the others couldn't steal the calcium tablet before she had a chance to decide if she wanted to eat it on her own. If she won't, just pop it in her mouth and she'll swallow it.
Thanks so much! I do have an EE who has a habit of laying softer shelled eggs as well, so maybe I can try this with her, too. Eloise looked good this morning - perky and pretty much back to normal so she’s out with her sisters now :wee.

Just found these on Amazon. Do you think they do (the fact they’re mini tablets might be good, too ;) ):
https://www.amazon.com/Rainbow-Ligh...Calcium+citrate+tablets&qid=1620224200&sr=8-9

Thanks for this info. I happen to have calcium capsules so I just added it directly to their food and witnessed the chicken with the problem eating eat. fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom