Odd Hen Out

VolailleAmant

Songster
Jul 26, 2016
Michigan
Hi!
I raise Isa Browns, and 1 particular hen likes to sneak out and roam the yard and drive way early in the morning.
So when I go out to feed the chickens (keep in mind that this hen is NOT nice or very people social) she comes up to me about 6 feet away, and crouches like she is going to lay and egg. She makes a sort of popping sound also.
Why in the world does she do this? And it goes on EVERY MORNING!
HELP!

Do you have a rooster? Sounds likes she squatting to be mated. All my chickens are up roaming the yard at the crack of dawn.

I do not have a rooster. And this doesn't look like the "I can mate" position!
jumpy.gif

It is more like a "I am going to lay an egg" position!

I think what you are describing is what my chickens do also. If I go to pick them up and they don't have a place to run to, they kind of squat with their wings out a little and freeze. I think it's just a defensive posture.

I have several Australorp hens that do this. It is a type of submission. I can stroke their backs or pick them up. They are the only ones of my varied flock that do this. They are very sweet. I have a young hen ... 16 weeks... That just started this when I walk by her. She is the only one of 8 young girls ... All the same age that has started doing this. I try to pick her up and talk to her when I can to make her as tame as possible.

Thank you everyone,
but squatting isn't what she is doing. It is more like she is trying to lay an egg on the side walk but falsely.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom