odd looking egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AdrieeC, Jun 1, 2010.

1. AdrieeC

AdrieeC Pink Roses Farm

Mar 14, 2010
    Pearl River
    I'm sorry I can't post a picture of it because we lost the battery charger for the camera. BUT...I have an injured hen who is seperated from the rest of the flock at the moment. And it seems that these new BO's are really young as they lay quite a small egg compared to some of my older hens. This morning I went out to check on the isolated chicken and her egg was there next to her with a dent in it. The top of the egg is hard and the bottom of the egg is soft and tinted slightly darker than the rest of the egg, as if it were wet, but it isn't. The egg shell is completely in tact otherwise. Does she need additional calcium?

2. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    She MIGHT. OR it might just be an odd egg from a pullet. I would offer oyster shell free choice and let her decide what she needs.

I hope your injured bird gets back to the flock soon!

3. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    I jsut put out oyster shell for my gals, after a cracked egg in the nest yesterday. They looked at me like I was nuts.... [​IMG]

4. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Quote:Well, you WERE supposed to put out a bowl of crickets and meal worms. Didn't you know?!?!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by