Odd new egg color

Ah I may have misread... so the barred roo is a brother/one of this years offspring?

I'd say probably the australorp was not the father to all of the chicks or he is not actually an australorp but an amer/ee/whatever lol

If the pullets show a weird comb, either pea or doesnt seem to have one then chances are pretty high she is the green egger,

Very cool surprise isnt it lol

Last edited:
Ah I may have misread... so the barred roo is a brother/one of this years offspring?

I'd say probably the australorp was not the father to all of the chicks or he is not actually an australorp but an amer/ee/whatever lol

If the pullets show a weird comb, either pea or doesnt seem to have one then chances are pretty high she is the green egger,

Very cool surprise isnt it lol

It's an awesome surprise! LOL I had hoped to add some different chickens to the flock this last spring so that I could have rainbow colors but never got around to it. This gives me a whole new incentive for next spring. :) Now I want every color in the egg laying world lol
Edited to add- One of the barred roos is an offspring and one is the father who caused this. I just am not sure which is which since they look so much alike.

Last edited:
If you want more colored eggers, pea combed roo over any hens will be good as the blue/green egg gene is also dominant. Keep the pea combed daughters- any single combed pullets are likely to be white/tan/brown eggers.

The green egger pullet can similarly be bred with any rooster even a different breed and at least half of the daughters will lay colored eggs.

Be aware if you breed a pea combed colored egger/roo with another pea combed breed like brahma, you will not be able to guess which daughters will be the colored eggers as all of them would be pea combed.

Breeding with rose combs will give some walnut combs which is simply a combination of rose and pea on the same bird.

" the father who caused all this"....I love it!

I agree the older barred boy likely carries the blue egg gene, and crossing him with a brown egger gave you these pretty green eggs.

Your Aussie over your barred Rock hens should have given you all black sex link offspring, males barred and females solid.

These two barred roosters aren't pure for the barring gene, so half their offspring would have been barred, regardless of gender. So, if you got any barred females, they would have had the barred rooster for a father.

This is starting to feel like an episode of Maury....You are ---------NOT the father LOL
The lorp roo that I sold is probably responsible for the 2 lorp roos that hatched with the spring offspring. They are becoming obnoxious like he was--time for them to move along.

Back
Top Bottom