odd question about inbreeding

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by apdan, Jul 26, 2010.

1. apdan

apdan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Michigan
    OK so..... I have an odd question about inbreeding in ducks.... is it possible?? I am guessing that it is but I just want to make sure.. I am going to try and make this so you guys understand [​IMG] I have 3 hens and 1 drake. My drake is the offspring of one of my hens from last sping (he's a yr old.) One of my hens hatched out 2 babies this spring, a drake and a hen. One of my other hens hatched out 13, we gave away 7 and kept 6 and are still waiting to see what they turn out to be. We gave away 3 of our other drakes, but my hens and drakes were all together this spring and last and so the babies all kind of have the same fathers (if you get my drift.) So my question is, should I give away all of my drakes and get a new one by spring?? Or should I just let them keep running together and what happens between them happens! [​IMG] not really sure what to do here! [​IMG] OHHH and my hens are the same 3 hens I have had for 3 years now!

2. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Inbreeding happens in the wild. Ducks usually mate for life. However the Drake can seduce who he wants when his hen(s) are broody. Not to say that a hen won't be a hussy either.

Skittles has just obtained Penny as his hen. And today I witnessed the hen enticing Bill (my other drake). Skittles butted in and grabbed her beak and pecked at her neck to stop it. They are in separate pens but their necks protrude through.

If you intend to breed your own flock and keep the gene pool clean, then I'd keep a careful watch on the drakes and hens (if you have more than one)

JMHO

3. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Most duck books recommend to get new blood lines in after 3 generations of inbreeding. So Yes, I would suggest to retire the drake and get a new one in. It is better for the health of the flock.

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Inbreeding for a generation or so is no biggie. Generation after generation you can get problems. I just got rid of my drake that fathered all my ducklings (and many many more throughout the region...sold lots of hatching eggs [​IMG] ) but I still have one of his sons. I am trying to sell him, but no luck so far. Breeding wont be an issue until Spring since I am collecting eggs daily. But next Spring (if I still have him) I will separate him out from his mom and his half sisters.

5. apdan

apdan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Well that's what I was thinking I was going to have to do this year or in the spring. I am probably going to give away all my drakes, the one that I currently have and the ones that have hatched out and get a new manly man! Now I just have to find one before spring [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by