Odd Question, Situation... Chickens, Animals, etc.

At least your 'heads-up' was verbal. Though unpleasant, the official can now say he spoke to you but the complaint may not be on paper yet (hoping). This buys you time to do what you had planned with the dumpster. If you can manage it, fencing the dogs and concealing the chickens might be prudent. It's tough to make a new beginning in the community this way and my heart goes out to you. At least you have one sterling neighbor. There are busybodies everywhere, I bet all of us can name one in our community. Please let us know how things are going as you cope.
hmm.png

Sterling,

Are you zoned Agricultural, and if so - what type of Ag are you zoned for? That is the difference. Just because you're in a rural area doesnt necessarily mean you can have farm animals. It sucks, I know (sorry) - been there, done that. We had a contract on another house (thank god we got out of it for the woman not producing permits for all the work she did! WHEW!) - but...although it was rural and zoned Agri - it was not zoned the RIGHT Ag type. We could farm for crops and have some animals, but not others. After looking and looking some more, we found this house we're in now - and its zoned Agri with NO STIPULATIONS - we can have whatever we want, but the neighbors down the road less than 1 mile are also Agri, but cannot have certain farm animals, but again, can have others.

Look up your codes, see if you were subdivided or rezoned in the past and then see if you're grandfathered. Get a copy of your zoning and post it on your door, frame it in a frame, hang it on the wall - whatever you want
smile.png
That way the next time (if you're allowed to have what you have) you can take it outside and show whomever what it says.

Good luck!

I agree with the zoning comment, we're zoned Marginal Agricultural, which means we can do certain things... we're allowed to have most animals, horses, dogs, cows, poultry, etc. we're even allowed to operate a hunting lodge, pretty much anything we like. Marginal Agricultural means you can get a regular residential mortgage rather than an agricultural mortgage.

Back
Top Bottom