Odd sore. Don't know what it is. Weird.

somissemilyy

Songster
9 Years
Jun 5, 2010
Coldwater, MS
59649_dcp_4290.jpg

Saw blood on my chicken. She's a BR hen.
On this picture, it is just blood on the feathers where it has dripped, but my most concern is right where that little hole is. Blood is coming out of it. It is a grayish color and it's not hard. I put some ointment on it and wiped it with a wipe/papertowel right before I put ointment on it. Also, this sore is right under her leg. Not sure what caused it. We are thinking maybe a stick or a bug bite. Please let me know what you think! Every post is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much! Much love!

***** Also, don't mind the date on the picture. It was took today. Camera is old.********

How is she doing right now, has the bleeding stopped? Does it look like a puncture wound or an abcess that ruptured (like a big pimple-like lump)? Many injuries are best served by keeping the wound clean and putting some topical antibiotic on it. If the weather is bad, keep her somewhere warm and dry until you are satisfied that it is healing.

It's hard to tell what's going on from the picture. I would first clean the area well using betadine, or just plain warm water if you have no betadine. Then I would keep a good layer of antiobiotic ointment on the area. What type of ointment did you use? Neosporin would be good. Some folks use Veteriacyn, which I believe is an antibiotic spay that Tractor Supply carries. If the area is visible where your other chickens will peck at it, you might try BluKote, which will prevent pecking. Is it actively bleeding or has it stopped?

It was something similar to Neosporin I used, or I think it was Neosporin.. Same thing, haha. I noticed it late this afternoon right after dark, so I had enough time to put something on her and get some ointment on it, I will definately check her in the morning. Thanks for responding, apriciate it. No, the area is not visible for other chickens to see it.. It is like a pimple-like lump..

You might try feeling the lump or squeeze it a bit. Check to make sure there isn't something lodged or burrowed in there. If puss or anything other than blood comes out, it might need more than surface cleaning and neosporin. Glad to hear she's doin good for the night!

I will definately do that tomorrow. I hope she's okay by in the morning!
fl.gif
She's such a sweet heart! I felt it before I put the neosporin on it, it wasn't hard, it was kinda gooey, but Ididn't try squezzing it or anything. THanks
smile.png

Quote:
This was my thought too.

I don't understand what you mean. Can you explain a little more? I'm still new to many chicken injurys. Sorry!

Back
Top Bottom