Odd wing behavior

TangledInBlu

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2020
I have just gotten to chickens, one Rhode Island red and the other I believe is an orpington. The possible orpington, the tan one, has been keeping her wings away from her body, but she is not lethargic.

Shes still scratching and doing her regular chicken thing, but I work away from home and I can't tell if she's drinking water or eating so I can't be positive. The other chicken is it not showing signs of heat exhaustion and the tan one keeps her wings away from her body pretty much at all times, even in the cooler morning hrs.

I've had a few flocks of chickens throughout my life, just none recently within the last 2 years, but this is new for me. I've checked her over and she doesn't have any obvious mites or insects in her feathers and she allows me to move her wings around when I got her picked up.

I'm a little bit at a loss on what to look for at this point.

If she's an Orpington, then it's just from the heat. Orpingtons are a dual purpose breed, so they feel the heat more than other breeds. Just make sure she has lots of shade and access to water. You can also give her some watermelon to help cool her down.

If she's an Orpington, then it's just from the heat. Orpingtons are a dual purpose breed, so they feel the heat more than other breeds. Just make sure she has lots of shade and access to water. You can also give her some watermelon to help cool her down.

Oh, thank you! I knew they were duel breeds but hadnt heard anything about them being less heat tolerant - we've always had rhode island reds or black sussex.

Her run's under two dogwoods and they have a lean too as well, so they actually have to want to be in the sun to get in it.

Back
Top Bottom