Odd wording in Ordinance

AndyWood

Hatching
Jul 30, 2016
I'm studying some local ordinances in order to gather evidence in hopes of having my own local ordinance changed. Most of the ordinances are pretty straight forward as to what they accepting and what they don't, but I've run into some odd wording in a couple of them:

No person shall keep or house any animals or domestic fowl within the city except dogs, cats, birds, fowl or animals commonly classified as pets.

Anybody know what fowl may be commonly classified as a pet?

welcome-byc.gif
I'm really not certain, but perhaps pigeons?

"A domesticated animal kept for pleasure rather than utility."

Definition of pet from the dictionary.

That to me, would encompass chickens.

The problem is the person saying of course, for dogs and cats, that would apply, but chickens are "different."

Who decides what "commonly" means?

"A domesticated animal kept for pleasure rather than utility."

Definition of pet from the dictionary.

That to me, would encompass chickens.

The problem is the person saying of course, for dogs and cats, that would apply, but chickens are "different."

Who decides what "commonly" means?
I think they're talking about parrots, parakeets and the like.

Yes, that was the point.

People consider exotic birds as pets, rather than entertaining that a common chicken could be the same.

Again, depends on who decides " commonly."

I really wish these folks who write this stuff would just be specific. Sure would save a lot of heartache and confusion! Why can't they just not "ASSume" things, that everyone thinks the same as the idiot writing the rules? Good grief.

Common would mean that any average person would associate the type of animal as a pet. While those of us with chickens find them interesting, entertaining and having the qualities that make a good pet, most people without that experience would not consider them.as pets, but as a source of meat and eggs.

Common would mean that any average person would associate the type of animal as a pet. While those of us with chickens find them interesting, entertaining and having the qualities that make a good pet, most people without that experience would not consider them.as pets, but as a source of meat and eggs.
Exactly, they are livestock and thought of as a utility animal. People who raise pigs have a pet pig but it still gets slaughtered. A trained pet pig that is livestock.

Back
Top Bottom