Oddball chick

TNGirl12345

In the Brooder
Sep 11, 2023
So, I just recently got 6 chicks from Rural King. 2 Gold Laced Wyandottes, 2 Black Australorps, and 2 Crèvecoeurs. One of my Crèvecoeurs died this morning. Rural King allows you to get a replacement if it's within 7 days of purchase, however, they didn't have any more Crèvecoeur chicks, so now the one that's left is going to be completely different looking from the others, especially once it starts growing its feathery hairdo out. I've read that chickens may bully one that looks different. Should I even attempt to raise it with the others or go ahead and give it to someone who has other similar chicks while it's still small?

No, no, I don’t think they’ll bully it since they are going to grow up together. They’ll all know each other. I have raised many different breeds/colors/sizes together, and they’ve been fine. What they would see as different is, after they’ve been together a while and you add a new chicken….even if it looks exactly like them, they’d see it as a stranger.

I have a crevecour (Thistle) in my flock. She's bottom of the pecking order, but no one picks on her. The others even look out for her, most of the time. Sometimes when they're out foraging in the yard, Thistle won't notice when the flock moves on. When she notices she's alone and starts freaking out, *most* of the time, one of the others will go back for her. If they don't and she doesn't figure it out on her own, I have to lead her to them. She hates to be alone. She's a sweet, dopey girl.

Back
Top Bottom