Of Feathers And Flames- A Wings of Fire AU RP

“Yep,” Sunspot said, taking off and flying low over the dunes. As she flew back into the cave she realized she had no idea who to talk to. She wasn’t doing to talk to one of the humans.

She spotted Crests blue scales and landed next to him, flicking a wing in his face. “Hey SeaWing, tell them to wait. Eclipse is still out there.”
@Yukiko

"Of course it is." Vel snapped, lifting into the air. "Follow me if you wish. I'll keep the others from killing you. But 'It's your call.'"
She turned, sweat beading down her neck as carried the CloudWing into the desert.

@Little Baby Bean
Hissing at Vel's back, Ajax jumped into the air with some effort.
The pain in his mouth along with the soreness in his limbs was almost enough to make him scream. It would be so unprofessional, as well as embarrassing, to cry out with the snappy dragoness in front of him though. This was the only thing keeping him from howling loudly.

@_-Captain BRM-_

Citrus looked around nervously. He pointed at himself, and the figure questioning him nodded. "My name is Citrus," he said uneasily. "How are ya?" he said, also, in a very nervous manner.
Whitestar exchanged a glance with Blackout.
"What are you doing in here," the Icewing said cautiously, unsure how to answer the Rainwing's casual inquiry.
"And what is happening?"

@Bella the Chicken Lover
@Yukiko
@Harmonylight

Hey sorry y’all still at work, I’ll try to take care of stuff tonight! I have been rly distracted with work and stuff and meant to be on this week but ended up being gone both Saturday and Sunday, so I’m hoping to be on this evening or tmrw.
Also I can’t remember where everyone is so here’s a late Happy Canada Day, and early Happy July 4th! 😁

“Which arena is this?” I asked, trying my best to stay close to the sisters as we weaved through the crowd. The question had been addressed to Cersei, but she failed to hear me.
“Outdoor.” Roe replied, tossing frizzy, blue bangs out of her eyes. “Westover side. Only the biggest arena in The Den. Seriously, Tobias, do you know anything?”
“Roe.” Cersei warned.
I bit back a gutsy remark.
“I could leave him right here, and it would take a week for him to find his way back to The Maze.”
“Roe.” Cersei groaned.
“Here.” Roe grabbed my hand, and Cersei gave her a critical look. “What.” She muttered with a blunt nod. “Now he won’t get lost.” Roe smirked, holding her head high as she guided us through the crowd, and I couldn’t help but scoff, once again, at how the twins were complete opposites of each other.
Roe, with her wavy hair, dyed bright blue, neon colored braids and beads sprinkled through the random, crazy dreadlocks. The baggy green jeans, an oversized black t-shirt tucked at the waist, laced black boots to her knees. Roe was not a try-hard. She wasn’t weird because she wanted to be. She just was. So weird that literally every ridiculous thing she wore, and every odd thing she said, felt natural. It felt like her. I didn’t like her.
“Watch it, killer.” Roe ducked behind me and I hesitated.
“What?”
“Keep walking.” She hissed, gripping my shoulder, and pushing me along.
I obliged, noticing Cersei fall in line beside me.
“It’s Walton.” Cer explained with a sigh, nodding towards a man across the way. “She still owes him a bet dad won’t pay.”
Resisting the urge to shrug Roe off, I continued through the crowd, obediently following her every direction. “Again?” I muttered.
“Again.” Cersei confirmed.
Ahead, the crowd parted, forming lines leading to the stadium entrance.
Strobe lights pulsed, music drowned nearby conversations to a growling mumble. Garbage littered the stained concrete below. The smell of sweat and fried food wafted through the air. There were no windows. The only light came from the blaring neon fixtures above. My eyes ached. All kinds of people surrounded me. The investors dressed in fitted white suits, the average attendees dragging themselves towards another addicting game. All sorts of skin tones, all sorts of hair colors, all sorts of races. The Den was inclusive and seducing. Disgusting. But I had to adjust. I’d make myself adjust.
A vendor called, and I was forced to make eye contact with the man as he crossed in front of me, waving merchandise. Roe prodded me on from behind and I stopped, pushing her infront of me.She smirked, cocking her head to the side as she spun around, pointing a finger at Cersei, her shining black nails glistening with every pulse of colorful light. “It is a good thing you are here, Tobias.” Roe started, her gaze locked on Cersei. “I have failed to convince Cersei to join me for weeks.” She bit her lip, eyes narrowed at Cersei before glancing at me. “But I suppose you are the game changer.” She spun on her heel, leading us to the VIP ticket line.
With a roll of her eyes, Cersei met my gaze for a moment, blushing. “I’m sorry.”
I smiled and shook my head. She had no reason to apologize. She didn’t speak for her sister. Roe did that just fine on her own.

It was two in the morning when we got back from the game. My body was exhausted, but my brain still ran wildly, shifting through scenes I had witnessed in the arena.
I didn’t get many opportunities to attend an arena match. The games were expensive, and I couldn’t justify the cost when I could view a match online for little cost back in the safety of my lot. But nothing compared to watching a game live, in person. The whole experience was simply exhilarating. The crowd had been wild, easily surpassing forty thousand in number. Music and chants had echoed all round, lights and images flashed across screens. It was overwhelming, yes. But the crowd fed my extroverted nature, and I had hid behind this side of myself, masking the anxiety, and the nervous energy. If not for the guidance of Cersei and Roe, I would never have gone to the arena.
The matches were exhilarating to watch, but I quickly noticed where my interest in the game differed to the crowd. I was there to watch a competition, to see who would come out the victor. The crowds were there with similar interest, yes- but they wanted the blood, and they wanted the gore. They wanted to watch the victor shred their opponent alive, to dismember them slowly, to watch the loser tortured for sport. They craved it. They needed it. This was a side of the arena I had yet to see. But it was a side I was determined to grow accustomed to.

Cersei insisted we show the SolarWing to Roe.
So,biang that every ounce of logic drained from my exhausted brain, I listened.
Opening the lot door, I slipped through first, telling Cersei to wait back with Roe while I checked on the SolarWing.
He depended on habit. Seeing me walk through the doorway at two in the morning was most definitely abnormal to our daily routine.
“Hey, bud.” I tossed my pack to the floor with a heavy sigh.
The SolarWing studied me from where he lay beside the cage door.
“Sorry I’m late. Everything’s okay.”
Sure, he might not respond or acknowledge my words. But he understood them.
I walked up to the cage, and the dragon stood, waiting with an expectant air.
Honestly, I was surprised with his calm nature. Messing up our daily order had thrown him hard the past two months, and I had done everything to avoid it. But now he seemed perfectly fine, perfectly trusting my every move as I opened the cage door.
He leaned his head down, sniffing my shirt. He hesitated, then lifted his gaze.
I reached my hand out and stroked his snout, whisking my hand across the warm, smooth scales.
He pressed into my touch.
After a minute of reactionless explanation, I admitted the twins into my lot, allowing Cersei through first, then letting Roe follow.
The SolarWing stiffened at the sight of a third human.
“It’s fine.” I told him shortly.
His gaze didn’t leave Roe, and Roe stared right back at him.
“So this is what you two been doing the past, like, three months?” Roe asked, unimpressed, as predicted.
“Two months.” Cersei corrected, moving towards the cage.
The SolarWing retreated.
I sighed. “Cer..”
She stopped, shaking her head. “Yeah.” She turned and joined Roe.
“So what, he is injured?” Roe questioned, narrowing her eyes.
“Healing.” I answered, noticing the far off look in Roe’s gaze.
“He is useless.” Roe announced.
“Oh my gosh.” Cersei snapped. “Shut up and say something nice for once in your life.”
“Hm. I believe those two commands contradict each other.” Roe muttered, and she began to approach the lab cage.
Cersei, upset, shared a look with me.
“Be careful, Roe.” I warned, sighing as she leaned against the bars, squinting at the SolarWing.
“Why is he so scared?” She asked slowly.
“Yeah, connect the dots.” Cersei snapped again. “He’s been abused his whole life. Of course he’s scared.”
Roe clacked her nails against the white cage bars. “Why does he not trust you? Have you hurt him, Cersei?”
I looked away. Roe was looking for a fight.
“No. I would never.” Cersei said, her tone even, and condensing.
Roe turned towards me, biting her lip. “Does he trust you, Tobias?” She arched her brow, looking bored. Then she scoffed, whacking the heel off her boot against the cage.
The SolarWing scrambled back.
A protective instinct rushed through my mind, an angered fire kindled by Roe’s brash attitude towards both Cersei and myself.
He’s useless.
I scoffed.
You want to know who’s useless?
Starting towards the cage, I approached the dragon with a determined air.
I had nothing to prove to Roe.
Nor had I anything to prove to Cersei.
I had something to prove to myself, and I refused to ignore it.
So, with quick, confident strides, I entered the lab cage, locking eyes with the SolarWing.
He stared back at me.
“Come here.”
The SolarWing held my gaze, almost immediately obliging my request.
He didn’t come with his head bowed, he didn’t come trembling. The dragon came willingly, his head held high, his gaze unwavering.
I waited a moment before turning back to Roe. “Oh," I started, my tone low and laced with disgust, "he trusts me.”
She smirked.
I took a deep breath, cocking my head.
There were so many things I wanted to say. So many ways I wanted to crush her cocky demeanor, to bring her down to the level she belonged.
But instead, I turned back the dragon.
Roe snorted. “What even is this. You want to kill me right now, right? I see it. I see you seething behind your bland, fake self. Yell at me. Do something for yourself. Stop following the crowd, foo.” I heard her push off the cage bars, her steps receding to the door. “Who are you, August? Because I do not know. And Cersei does not know. And you do not seem to know.”
I scoffed, trying to ignore her words.
“Maybe think for yourself. Maybe stop doing what others want you to do. Maybe-”
“You should shut up.” Cersei hissed.
The lot door opened.
“You are aimless.” Roe cleared her throat, and I turned, watching her lean against the doorway. “I suggest getting a life."
I smiled.
Because I wasn't going to let her get to me. And I wasn't going to put myself in a position where I challenged my boss's daughter.
Roe smiled back, coolly. "Thank you for coming to the arena. I'm sure Cersei enjoyed it."
I sighed, forcing every polite word, widening my smile. "Thank you for inviting me."

That morning I woke to the sound of knocking.
I was startled awake, seeing stars as I rushed to sit up. The SolarWing was standing, watching me intently. I reached for my sweater, fumbling to put on a pair of pants as I tripped towards the door.
The knocking continued, a rhythmic pattern, and my mind could run so far without smacking into a wall of drowsy confusion, so it took several moments before I could guess around at who might be at the door.
I proceeded to snag my pant leg on my backpack, clumsily catching myself before I fell. "Coming!" I shouted, my voice ragged from sleep, knowing the soundproof walls would immediately muffle the call.
The SolarWing watched me with an amused air as I yanked boots over my feet.
I steadied myself, glancing back at the dragon as I move to the doorway. "Yeah." I muttered. "Good morning." I gave him a weak smile, then gently opened the lot door.
A middle-aged man stood before me, his red hair balding, pale blue eyes grave serious.
"Morn, Aug, you seen Yair lately?"
I was caught off guard, politely motioning my only medical coworker into my humble lot. "San." I acknowledged, blinking sleep from my eyes. "No. I was with the twins last night. But I haven't seen Yair since yesterday morning." With quick movement, I shook my hair out, dragging a hand back against my scalp, wincing at how greasy my hair felt. I hated feeling unprepared. It made me nervous and apologetic. This was one of those moments.
Santiago stepped in, removing his thick, black rimmed glasses. He wiped the lenses on his shirt. "Yair's missing. The whole Lot's checking around before we call it in."
It took a moment to process. My mind froze, every reasonable thought stopping to wave as the opportune time to say something intelligent passed by.
"Missing?" I repeated, a rather unsettling feeling washing through my mind.
People went missing all the time in the Scorpion Den. Rarely anyone of importance, such as Yair. There was a market for slaves outside of The Den, and many illegal buyers within the city. Human trafficking was disgustingly prominent.
"Yeah." Santiago confirmed, stepping into the lot. "Cersei's gone, too."
My stomach dropped.
"How long has it been?" I whispered. The words felt dreadful.
Santiago shook his head, putting the thick framed glasses back on, his gaze on the SolarWing. "Dunno. Roe was at the lot. She's been looking for them, too. They've been missing for hours, Tobe." He met my eyes. "We might be out a job."
I jerked my gaze away, repulsed by the comment.
At the sight of Santiago, the SolarWing had long since returned to his corner, trembling behind enormous wings.
I felt a sharp pang of annoyance towards the cowardly dragon. But my emotions were spiking too high to truly feel any genuine feelings.

I waited around the entire day, praying we would hear news
But none came.
I wouldn't allow myself to think on the matter. The dragon became a fine distraction.
I spent the afternoon with the SolarWing.
He was such a creature of habit. So very confused by my presence, which contrasted deeply with his demeanor the previous night. He was jumpy, and spooked. It took an hour until he was calm enough for me to work with him. Even then he flinched at sound, his gaze on the lot door.
Our relationship improved immensely over the course of the day. I had yet to set apart such a large amount of time that I could dedicate strictly towards the SolarWing. He seemed to benefit, though I was too distracted to entirely focus on him.
We didn't hear news until late that night.
Cersei and Yair had been found dead in the slums.

I'd dealt with death before in the past. I'd lost a mother. I'd lost siblings, and friends. And I had basically lost a father.
But somehow, maddeningly enough, this felt different.
I had felt so secure. My boss's daughter had obviously liked me. I didn't think of Cersei as a tool to further my career, of course, but now I realized how at peace out relationship had made me feel. And now it was gone.
There was something else there, too.
A horrid tense of loss.
It burned deep, cut sharp, and I realized I had truly loved Cersei. Whether as a friend, or something more. I had loved her.
Yair was the reason I was here in The Den. He had orchestrated everything with a fatherly care. He was a kind man. And at the time- that meant everything to me.
I had only been in The Den for two months now. I depended on Yair for everything.
And now he was dead.
And Cersei was dead.
And I was a broke twenty-year-old living in the heart of a monstrous, damned city.
I'd be surprised if I lasted a week.

Not my best work, I apologize. The last three days I have fought to find inspiration. Though I know where the plot is going, I had a small loop hole to patch. But it's fixxxd. We back on track, pals.
I need a character arc. So Tobe is lame. Roe is cool. And he hates her. I apologize. It pains me to write, it truly, truly does.. ugugugguggughhuggg.

Thank you 😂

I'd appreciate feedback if anything sounds confusing? But as I said, I'm not exactly proud of this *winces*, and I've yet to pin down exactly why I feel this way. Maybe I'm imagining it simply because the last few days have been a drag as far a writing goes.

Also, yes, Tobe is bland and doesn't like to talk about himself, and he's going to learn all this stuff yadayadayoo, so the whole death thing? It'll come back to murder him emotionally later, but rn, he's just playin it off.

Thanks for reading, pals! ❤️

@-Shade-
@-Kiwi-
@Crestcrazy2

“Which arena is this?” I asked, trying my best to stay close to the sisters as we weaved through the crowd. The question had been addressed to Cersei, but she failed to hear me.
“Outdoor.” Roe replied, tossing frizzy, blue bangs out of her eyes. “Westover side. Only the biggest arena in The Den. Seriously, Tobias, do you know anything?”
“Roe.” Cersei warned.
I bit back a gutsy remark.
“I could leave him right here, and it would take a week for him to find his way back to The Maze.”
“Roe.” Cersei groaned.
“Here.” Roe grabbed my hand, and Cersei gave her a critical look. “What.” She muttered with a blunt nod. “Now he won’t get lost.” Roe smirked, holding her head high as she guided us through the crowd, and I couldn’t help but scoff, once again, at how the twins were complete opposites of each other.
Roe, with her wavy hair, dyed bright blue, neon colored braids and beads sprinkled through the random, crazy dreadlocks. The baggy green jeans, an oversized black t-shirt tucked at the waist, laced black boots to her knees. Roe was not a try-hard. She wasn’t weird because she wanted to be. She just was. So weird that literally every ridiculous thing she wore, and every odd thing she said, felt natural. It felt like her. I didn’t like her.
“Watch it, killer.” Roe ducked behind me and I hesitated.
“What?”
“Keep walking.” She hissed, gripping my shoulder, and pushing me along.
I obliged, noticing Cersei fall in line beside me.
“It’s Walton.” Cer explained with a sigh, nodding towards a man across the way. “She still owes him a bet dad won’t pay.”
Resisting the urge to shrug Roe off, I continued through the crowd, obediently following her every direction. “Again?” I muttered.
“Again.” Cersei confirmed.
Ahead, the crowd parted, forming lines leading to the stadium entrance.
Strobe lights pulsed, music drowned nearby conversations to a growling mumble. Garbage littered the stained concrete below. The smell of sweat and fried food wafted through the air. There were no windows. The only light came from the blaring neon fixtures above. My eyes ached. All kinds of people surrounded me. The investors dressed in fitted white suits, the average attendees dragging themselves towards another addicting game. All sorts of skin tones, all sorts of hair colors, all sorts of races. The Den was inclusive and seducing. Disgusting. But I had to adjust. I’d make myself adjust.
A vendor called, and I was forced to make eye contact with the man as he crossed in front of me, waving merchandise. Roe prodded me on from behind and I stopped, pushing her infront of me.She smirked, cocking her head to the side as she spun around, pointing a finger at Cersei, her shining black nails glistening with every pulse of colorful light. “It is a good thing you are here, Tobias.” Roe started, her gaze locked on Cersei. “I have failed to convince Cersei to join me for weeks.” She bit her lip, eyes narrowed at Cersei before glancing at me. “But I suppose you are the game changer.” She spun on her heel, leading us to the VIP ticket line.
With a roll of her eyes, Cersei met my gaze for a moment, blushing. “I’m sorry.”
I smiled and shook my head. She had no reason to apologize. She didn’t speak for her sister. Roe did that just fine on her own.

It was two in the morning when we got back from the game. My body was exhausted, but my brain still ran wildly, shifting through scenes I had witnessed in the arena.
I didn’t get many opportunities to attend an arena match. The games were expensive, and I couldn’t justify the cost when I could view a match online for little cost back in the safety of my lot. But nothing compared to watching a game live, in person. The whole experience was simply exhilarating. The crowd had been wild, easily surpassing forty thousand in number. Music and chants had echoed all round, lights and images flashed across screens. It was overwhelming, yes. But the crowd fed my extroverted nature, and I had hid behind this side of myself, masking the anxiety, and the nervous energy. If not for the guidance of Cersei and Roe, I would never have gone to the arena.
The matches were exhilarating to watch, but I quickly noticed where my interest in the game differed to the crowd. I was there to watch a competition, to see who would come out the victor. The crowds were there with similar interest, yes- but they wanted the blood, and they wanted the gore. They wanted to watch the victor shred their opponent alive, to dismember them slowly, to watch the loser tortured for sport. They craved it. They needed it. This was a side of the arena I had yet to see. But it was a side I was determined to grow accustomed to.

Cersei insisted we show the SolarWing to Roe.
So,biang that every ounce of logic drained from my exhausted brain, I listened.
Opening the lot door, I slipped through first, telling Cersei to wait back with Roe while I checked on the SolarWing.
He depended on habit. Seeing me walk through the doorway at two in the morning was most definitely abnormal to our daily routine.
“Hey, bud.” I tossed my pack to the floor with a heavy sigh.
The SolarWing studied me from where he lay beside the cage door.
“Sorry I’m late. Everything’s okay.”
Sure, he might not respond or acknowledge my words. But he understood them.
I walked up to the cage, and the dragon stood, waiting with an expectant air.
Honestly, I was surprised with his calm nature. Messing up our daily order had thrown him hard the past two months, and I had done everything to avoid it. But now he seemed perfectly fine, perfectly trusting my every move as I opened the cage door.
He leaned his head down, sniffing my shirt. He hesitated, then lifted his gaze.
I reached my hand out and stroked his snout, whisking my hand across the warm, smooth scales.
He pressed into my touch.
After a minute of reactionless explanation, I admitted the twins into my lot, allowing Cersei through first, then letting Roe follow.
The SolarWing stiffened at the sight of a third human.
“It’s fine.” I told him shortly.
His gaze didn’t leave Roe, and Roe stared right back at him.
“So this is what you two been doing the past, like, three months?” Roe asked, unimpressed, as predicted.
“Two months.” Cersei corrected, moving towards the cage.
The SolarWing retreated.
I sighed. “Cer..”
She stopped, shaking her head. “Yeah.” She turned and joined Roe.
“So what, he is injured?” Roe questioned, narrowing her eyes.
“Healing.” I answered, noticing the far off look in Roe’s gaze.
“He is useless.” Roe announced.
“Oh my gosh.” Cersei snapped. “Shut up and say something nice for once in your life.”
“Hm. I believe those two commands contradict each other.” Roe muttered, and she began to approach the lab cage.
Cersei, upset, shared a look with me.
“Be careful, Roe.” I warned, sighing as she leaned against the bars, squinting at the SolarWing.
“Why is he so scared?” She asked slowly.
“Yeah, connect the dots.” Cersei snapped again. “He’s been abused his whole life. Of course he’s scared.”
Roe clacked her nails against the white cage bars. “Why does he not trust you? Have you hurt him, Cersei?”
I looked away. Roe was looking for a fight.
“No. I would never.” Cersei said, her tone even, and condensing.
Roe turned towards me, biting her lip. “Does he trust you, Tobias?” She arched her brow, looking bored. Then she scoffed, whacking the heel off her boot against the cage.
The SolarWing scrambled back.
A protective instinct rushed through my mind, an angered fire kindled by Roe’s brash attitude towards both Cersei and myself.
He’s useless.
I scoffed.
You want to know who’s useless?
Starting towards the cage, I approached the dragon with a determined air.
I had nothing to prove to Roe.
Nor had I anything to prove to Cersei.
I had something to prove to myself, and I refused to ignore it.
So, with quick, confident strides, I entered the lab cage, locking eyes with the SolarWing.
He stared back at me.
“Come here.”
The SolarWing held my gaze, almost immediately obliging my request.
He didn’t come with his head bowed, he didn’t come trembling. The dragon came willingly, his head held high, his gaze unwavering.
I waited a moment before turning back to Roe. “Oh," I started, my tone low and laced with disgust, "he trusts me.”
She smirked.
I took a deep breath, cocking my head.
There were so many things I wanted to say. So many ways I wanted to crush her cocky demeanor, to bring her down to the level she belonged.
But instead, I turned back the dragon.
Roe snorted. “What even is this. You want to kill me right now, right? I see it. I see you seething behind your bland, fake self. Yell at me. Do something for yourself. Stop following the crowd, foo.” I heard her push off the cage bars, her steps receding to the door. “Who are you, August? Because I do not know. And Cersei does not know. And you do not seem to know.”
I scoffed, trying to ignore her words.
“Maybe think for yourself. Maybe stop doing what others want you to do. Maybe-”
“You should shut up.” Cersei hissed.
The lot door opened.
“You are aimless.” Roe cleared her throat, and I turned, watching her lean against the doorway. “I suggest getting a life."
I smiled.
Because I wasn't going to let her get to me. And I wasn't going to put myself in a position where I challenged my boss's daughter.
Roe smiled back, coolly. "Thank you for coming to the arena. I'm sure Cersei enjoyed it."
I sighed, forcing every polite word, widening my smile. "Thank you for inviting me."

That morning I woke to the sound of knocking.
I was startled awake, seeing stars as I rushed to sit up. The SolarWing was standing, watching me intently. I reached for my sweater, fumbling to put on a pair of pants as I tripped towards the door.
The knocking continued, a rhythmic pattern, and my mind could run so far without smacking into a wall of drowsy confusion, so it took several moments before I could guess around at who might be at the door.
I proceeded to snag my pant leg on my backpack, clumsily catching myself before I fell. "Coming!" I shouted, my voice ragged from sleep, knowing the soundproof walls would immediately muffle the call.
The SolarWing watched me with an amused air as I yanked boots over my feet.
I steadied myself, glancing back at the dragon as I move to the doorway. "Yeah." I muttered. "Good morning." I gave him a weak smile, then gently opened the lot door.
A middle-aged man stood before me, his red hair balding, pale blue eyes grave serious.
"Morn, Aug, you seen Yair lately?"
I was caught off guard, politely motioning my only medical coworker into my humble lot. "San." I acknowledged, blinking sleep from my eyes. "No. I was with the twins last night. But I haven't seen Yair since yesterday morning." With quick movement, I shook my hair out, dragging a hand back against my scalp, wincing at how greasy my hair felt. I hated feeling unprepared. It made me nervous and apologetic. This was one of those moments.
Santiago stepped in, removing his thick, black rimmed glasses. He wiped the lenses on his shirt. "Yair's missing. The whole Lot's checking around before we call it in."
It took a moment to process. My mind froze, every reasonable thought stopping to wave as the opportune time to say something intelligent passed by.
"Missing?" I repeated, a rather unsettling feeling washing through my mind.
People went missing all the time in the Scorpion Den. Rarely anyone of importance, such as Yair. There was a market for slaves outside of The Den, and many illegal buyers within the city. Human trafficking was disgustingly prominent.
"Yeah." Santiago confirmed, stepping into the lot. "Cersei's gone, too."
My stomach dropped.
"How long has it been?" I whispered. The words felt dreadful.
Santiago shook his head, putting the thick framed glasses back on, his gaze on the SolarWing. "Dunno. Roe was at the lot. She's been looking for them, too. They've been missing for hours, Tobe." He met my eyes. "We might be out a job."
I jerked my gaze away, repulsed by the comment.
At the sight of Santiago, the SolarWing had long since returned to his corner, trembling behind enormous wings.
I felt a sharp pang of annoyance towards the cowardly dragon. But my emotions were spiking too high to truly feel any genuine feelings.

I waited around the entire day, praying we would hear news
But none came.
I wouldn't allow myself to think on the matter. The dragon became a fine distraction.
I spent the afternoon with the SolarWing.
He was such a creature of habit. So very confused by my presence, which contrasted deeply with his demeanor the previous night. He was jumpy, and spooked. It took an hour until he was calm enough for me to work with him. Even then he flinched at sound, his gaze on the lot door.
Our relationship improved immensely over the course of the day. I had yet to set apart such a large amount of time that I could dedicate strictly towards the SolarWing. He seemed to benefit, though I was too distracted to entirely focus on him.
We didn't hear news until late that night.
Cersei and Yair had been found dead in the slums.

I'd dealt with death before in the past. I'd lost a mother. I'd lost siblings, and friends. And I had basically lost a father.
But somehow, maddeningly enough, this felt different.
I had felt so secure. My boss's daughter had obviously liked me. I didn't think of Cersei as a tool to further my career, of course, but now I realized how at peace out relationship had made me feel. And now it was gone.
There was something else there, too.
A horrid tense of loss.
It burned deep, cut sharp, and I realized I had truly loved Cersei. Whether as a friend, or something more. I had loved her.
Yair was the reason I was here in The Den. He had orchestrated everything with a fatherly care. He was a kind man. And at the time- that meant everything to me.
I had only been in The Den for two months now. I depended on Yair for everything.
And now he was dead.
And Cersei was dead.
And I was a broke twenty-year-old living in the heart of a monstrous, damned city.
I'd be surprised if I lasted a week.

Not my best work, I apologize. The last three days I have fought to find inspiration. Though I know where the plot is going, I had a small loop hole to patch. But it's fixxxd. We back on track, pals.
I need a character arc. So Tobe is lame. Roe is cool. And he hates her. I apologize. It pains me to write, it truly, truly does.. ugugugguggughhuggg.

Thank you 😂

I'd appreciate feedback if anything sounds confusing? But as I said, I'm not exactly proud of this *winces*, and I've yet to pin down exactly why I feel this way. Maybe I'm imagining it simply because the last few days have been a drag as far a writing goes.

Also, yes, Tobe is bland and doesn't like to talk about himself, and he's going to learn all this stuff yadayadayoo, so the whole death thing? It'll come back to murder him emotionally later, but rn, he's just playin it off.

Thanks for reading, pals! ❤️

@-Shade-
@-Kiwi-
@Crestcrazy2
The extra paragraph at the end emphasizes Tobe's shock and grief is gold. I know you have trouble slowing down and writing actual *thoughts* so I am super satisfied with how you slowed down to bring that point into the spotlight.

Back
Top Bottom