Off the ground coop or walk in coop?

I've always built off-the-ground coops, I much prefer them that way; HOWEVER, you need to live in the right climate for an open bottom coop or else it becomes more work... and NJ is not warm enough.

Open bottom promotes ventilation and makes the entire area under the coop the litter box. I just rake the sand once a week and viola, done. I also don't have to bend over to get eggs or do anything else since the coop is 3' up already. It's the way I will always do them as long as I live in the right climate.

We did both: a walk-in coop that is 2.5’ off the ground. It is behind our barn, so we did a single slant roof that has a 2’ drop from the side next to the barn, to the other side. In the triangle created by the roof slant and the coop wall, we covered in HWC, so it is completely open to ventilation above their heads. Also opened the eaves. The coop is accessed by a deck with 4 steps. We elongated a deck snd placed it inline with the run gate, so that a wheelbarrow of cart could be pushed through the gate and would go just under the deck so that clean out is simple.

Walk in.

My first coop - 8'x12' is raised - the ducks needed a place to sleep, so it was a necessity. I crafted it in a "U" so I can actually walk in, never have to reach more than 5' to get to the back of a corner - and that's still deep enough I have to get down on hands and knees in the duck "stuff" when they drop an egg at the back corner. The floor for the chickes is 3' off the ground, just higher than my wagon, to make raking it out easier (and give me some clearance underneath).

When I built the second coop (roughly 10' x 16') I built it "walk thru", and have not regretted it.

My coop is half and half, one side is maybe 3ft off the ground and is connected to a breezeway that leads into a walk in.
The thing was built in stages as the flock grew but I can 1000% tell you I like the walk in side better.
The lack of stooping and bumping my head on everything is beyond nice so I've got to recommend a walk in.😋

My current coop is 8' tall ( 4' off the ground with run under, and coop is 4' tall with a pitched roof so about 6' in center ) I had spinal surgery and bad back so the coop I plan to build soon will be a walk in, much easier to work in and maintain ( my son is getting tired of me sticking him inside the current coop to fix or clean stuff ) a walk in would be nice to just rake and shovel everything out as well as just walk in to get the eggs instead of doors that are access points for preditors ( although the nesting box door is easier access, just personal preferences )

Back
Top Bottom