Off to do my first chicken

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by L&Schickens, Aug 19, 2008.

1. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I am getting ready to butcher my first chicken. I did do 2 turkeys (my first ever) about 2 months ago. This roo is about 10 weeks old and not as big as I thought he would be, but ho well. I am going to try and pluck him rather then skin this time. We will see how that goes. Might end up skinned anyway.
    I will let you know how it goes. [​IMG]

2. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    Good luck!

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Me too -- when DH comes home today, I'm going out back to kill and process a 15 wk chantecler cockerel, who will be my first. Am thinking of skinning rather than plucking, but may change my mind.

Good luck,

Pat

4. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    OK, I am all done and I really botched the job, but he was harder to do then the turkeys. I could not get my hand in after I cut the tail off and so I cut into him a lot and made a real mess. But, I did pluck him and it was easy! We don't eat the skin so the few feathers that are left will not be a problem, I think. I do not have a big propane heated pot or anything so I plugged in my 6 cup "Instant Hot Water" thing and used that. I poured the boiling water over him, plucked and waited for the water to boil again. I was really surprised how easy it was to get the feathers out. I am glad I tried it that way instead of skinning again.
    So, we are having chicken and potatoes tonight for dinner. I can't wait!!

Here he was:
    [​IMG]

And here he is now:
    [​IMG]

5. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    looks good to me mmm mmm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by