Ended Official BYC 2022 Summer Fairā€”Favorite Fair Memories

Long ago, when my older children were younger than my grandchildren are now, we went to the Big E (an All-New England fair), and two happenings stand out in my memory even now literal decades later.

First, we were walking among the sheep pens and, just as I was passing with my family ahead of me, a Rambouillet ram shoved his head out between the bars into my stomach to insist on petting and snuggles. I can only presume that I resembled someone he loves and, because I love sheep, I was happy to oblige.

Second, because the cattle pens were crowded the Highland cattle were tied in an open area outside the main cattle barn. Both the Highlanders and their owners were incredibly friendly, with the club members showing off their beautiful, gentle animals with tremendous patience and enthusiasm as they extolled the virtues of the breed to anyone willing to listen.

I'm sure the Uk fairs are different here, but... It's family tradition to go to the fair every year, but my sister and I are the only ones who go these days.
My sister loves all the scary rides. There have been times where she has bullied me onto insane ones. But my favourite time, she encouraged me onto these 40 Metre tall swings. It goes around in a circle at the top and then comes down. I was terrified to go on it. Literally shaking. Especially when the seats started lifting. But when we got to the top I could see the entire town. I saw sea gulls flying close, and underneath us. It was incredible. Felt like flying. And then we went back down, and my knees were a little weak! It's my favourite ride now, every year.

It's funny that I found this thread just after getting a message from my sister, there's another fair to go to
:oops:

Im sure american fairs are different to austalian fairs but anyway. My favourite memory is winning reserve champion at a show against 7 other ewes. It was my first show as my own stud, i stepped into the show ring after winnig first in my class and as the judge paced up and down the row of ewes she turned quickly on her heels and placed the purple ribbion on my ewes back. This was an amazing award and i got the recognition for some really respected breeders. Then it came time for the parade of champions where we walked around the show grounds and i had never felt prouder.
20220312_112636.jpg

Im sure american fairs are different to austalian fairs but anyway. My favourite memory is winning reserve champion at a show against 7 other ewes. It was my first show as my own stud, i stepped into the show ring after winnig first in my class and as the judge paced up and down the row of ewes she turned quickly on her heels and placed the purple ribbion on my ewes back. This was an amazing award and i got the recognition for some really respected breeders. Then it came time for the parade of champions where we walked around the show grounds and i had never felt prouder.View attachment 3189063
Congratulations that is amazing!

Im sure american fairs are different to austalian fairs but anyway. My favourite memory is winning reserve champion at a show against 7 other ewes. It was my first show as my own stud, i stepped into the show ring after winnig first in my class and as the judge paced up and down the row of ewes she turned quickly on her heels and placed the purple ribbion on my ewes back. This was an amazing award and i got the recognition for some really respected breeders. Then it came time for the parade of champions where we walked around the show grounds and i had never felt prouder.View attachment 3189063
That is so cool good job!

My favorite fair memory was this may during my first year of 4-H and so my first fair. My market turkey won reserve grand champion! I was so happy because it was my first time ever doing it! Then in showmanship I was in novice then advanced to juniors. I also get reserve grand champion in that! A few days later after they finished cage showing the chickens my Wheaten Old English Game Bantam hen, Iris, got second place in her division! Overall great start!

My favorite fair memory was this may during my first year of 4-H and so my first fair. My market turkey won reserve grand champion! I was so happy because it was my first time ever doing it! Then in showmanship I was in novice then advanced to juniors. I also get reserve grand champion in that! A few days later after they finished cage showing the chickens my Wheaten Old English Game Bantam hen, Iris, got second place in her division! Overall great start!
Great start? I couldn't think of a better start! Nice going!!!

I remember years back when I went to a fair for the first time. I was little and my grandparents took me. We walked around for a while looking at all he animals, and I cried when I saw the Guinea pigs because mine had just died. We went up to a food truck and got an elephant eat for me to try for the first time and it was an INCREDIBLE experience. Then there was this big swinging boat ride that my siblings wanted to doā€¦. So I went on itā€¦. Well it was the most terrifying thing I had ever done and the lap bar didnā€™t come super close to me because again I was little. Well I cried and cried afterwards, and my grandma took me on the pony ride which instantly made me stop crying. šŸ˜‚

My favorite fair memory was with my grandparents. Grandma took us to a fair and was showing us the horses and the horse shows when I heard an announcement for a bubble gum blowing contest. I was like 7 or 8 and of course I was CONFIDENT I could win that! So we rushed over to where the contest was taking place, and I very carefully blew the biggest bubble I have ever blown in my life. I won first place, but honestly the best part was the look of pride on grandma's face. I went on to win several watermelon seed spitting contests over the years, but nothing compares to that very first contest. It was the first contest I had ever won, and I got this cute little blue ribbon.

Back
Top Bottom