Ended Official BYC Article Writing Contest - #19

Pics
Yay for the two recent article submissions!; I think that makes ten contest entries as of now?

I have a question re the second article @RoostersAreAwesome submitted for this contest. That article includes a photo from Feathersite.com. Is that allowed under rule 3 of this contest? I am asking for 2 reasons:
1) If the photo disqualifies roostersareawesome's second article, there is still plenty of time to delete that photo.😊

2) On a personal note, I have specific questions re the contest rule #3. For example, I've never had a Bilateral Gyandromorph bird (half-sider), but there are excellent photos on the internet. if including an image off the internet is not allowed under the contest rules, is it acceptable to link an outside article that includes a photo of such a bird?
On a related note, there are photo examples of probable chimera birds and other rarities on BYC threads, but the members who posted the photos are no longer active. Under the rules of this contest, if i can't include the photos from those threads in a contest article, is it acceptable to provide a link to a specific BYC thread, where readers can see the photos there?

I've had my personal questions for a while, and seeing the feathersite photo prompted me to ask. :)

I have a question re the second article @RoostersAreAwesome submitted for this contest. That article includes a photo from Feathersite.com. Is that allowed under rule 3 of this contest?
Any article with an image that can be found on the web will be disqualified.
1) If the photo disqualifies roostersareawesome's second article, there is still plenty of time to delete that photo.😊
Nothing will be disqualified until the contest closes, so still plenty of time to make edits.
2) On a personal note, I have specific questions re the contest rule #3. For example, I've never had a Bilateral Gyandromorph bird (half-sider), but there are excellent photos on the internet. if including an image off the internet is not allowed under the contest rules, is it acceptable to link an outside article that includes a photo of such a bird?
The occasional offsite link is probably not going to get an entry dq'd.
On a related note, there are photo examples of probable chimera birds and other rarities on BYC threads, but the members who posted the photos are no longer active.
For the next contest, we might change the rules to allow images from other BYC members, though that can be tricky, 'cause lots of members posted web images.
is it acceptable to provide a link to a specific BYC thread, where readers can see the photos there?
Links to BYC content is allowed.

Hope that helps.

This was in the chicken coop article competition but it was suggested that because it is about taking a coop to bits, rather then putting one together, it might be more appropriate in this competition.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/flat-pack-coop-takedown-and-appraisal.78406/
Flat Pack Coop Takedown and Appraisal.

Flat Pack Coop Takedown and Appraisal.

This article is about a flatpack coop taken to bits after almost a decade of use. Lots of people buy these flatpack coops and the model I’m going to write about is a popular style option in the UK, made by various companies. It’s a generic style and most look identical from the outside, while...

Last edited by a moderator:
I promised I'd do this when the first of last year's clutches turned 1, and that's today, so here's an article on how I make home-made feed for the competition.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...eat-tears-a-calculator-or-deep-pockets.78655/
Wholesome home-made chicken feed, without sweat, tears, a calculator, or deep pockets.

Wholesome home-made chicken feed, without sweat, tears, a calculator, or deep pockets.

Introduction This article is written in response to several requests to write up how I make my own chicken feed for my flock of heritage and rare breed chickens. I started keeping chickens in 2017, and initially fed them entirely on commercial feed. My aim is to have happy, healthy birds; it is...

Last edited by a moderator:
Any article with an image that can be found on the web will be disqualified.

Nothing will be disqualified until the contest closes, so still plenty of time to make edits.

The occasional offsite link is probably not going to get an entry dq'd.

For the next contest, we might change the rules to allow images from other BYC members, though that can be tricky, 'cause lots of members posted web images.

Links to BYC content is allowed.

Hope that helps.

I don't believe I ever got an answer to a previous question about whether an article consisting of helpful links to BYC articles and threads sorted by topic was acceptable. :)

Every time I try to post my article it says it's to long. What is the limit for how long it can be?

Every time I try to post my article it says it's to long. What is the limit for how long it can be?
It looks like it's 100,000 characters.

1686321060155.png

Back
Top Bottom