Ended Official BYC Contest - Guess when we'll hit 22,222,222 million posts and you can win!

They tell you not to give heartworm meds until the dog is tested for heartworms. From what I've read, this isn't necessary except with the old meds no longer used. You can just give the HW meds now--not that you wouldn't want to know, but it isn't dangerous except to certain breeds (as you already knew).

Did I post my link to this thread? I started to... Anyway, here it is: http://www.dogaware.com/health/ivomec.html#08sheepdrench
Thanks!! That makes sense! I wonder if it’s different for cats? Or even she even needs it? She does go outside so I’m sure she does.

Thanks!! That makes sense! I wonder if it’s different for cats? Or even she even needs it? She does go outside so I’m sure she does.
I did a search... cats do get heartworm so yes, you're supposed to treat them. You'd need to know the doseage, then you could use this, or get a prescription one from your vet or online.

This below is for dogs. I couldn't find info written for cats and the doseage per body weight might be different for cats.
8250517B-EF9D-4742-9625-EAD77522F89C.jpeg

I did a search... cats do get heartworm so yes, you're supposed to treat them. You'd need to know the doseage, then you could use this, or get a prescription one from your vet or online.

This below is for dogs. I couldn't find info written for cats and the doseage per body weight might be different for cats.
View attachment 2234564
One detail I recall our Vet tell me was that cats systems are very different from how dogs handle stuff so it's not a simple scalable measurement from "dog numbers" - I can't remember what the scale is either sorry.

To each there own, I'm not criticizing anyone but I do feel obliged to point a couple things out in case anyone doesn't know..
Large doses of ivermectin can be toxic, and dogs can die from too many microfilariae dying at once. Ivermectin is also used for cats but I would be very very worried about overdosing.
Also, some ivermectin products are not pure ivermectin (like ivermec) and can kill dogs. Sorry if that was already covered in the link.
Ivermectin can also negatively interact with spinosad which is a relatively common flea preventative.
And importantly.. ivermectin does NOT kill adult heartworms. It will kill the microfilariae but the adults will stay in the heart and lungs for years until their natural death. In the meantime they will do significant damage to those organs. Ivermectin is sometimes used as a cheap "treatment" for heartworms (called the "slow kill method") but it is highly avoided at all costs specifically because of the long-term damage done. A heartworm positive animal treated with ivermectin will show up negative on a heartworm test.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom