Ended Official BYC Mini-contest - Tell us your funniest chicken story and win!

A few years back I had a month old roo who LOVED to sit on my shoulder. My husband kept saying he's going to peck you in the eye...welllll, he did the day we had to attend a wedding. We went but boy was I in pain. I had to call in sick to work the next morning to go have my eye treated. How do you leave a message to your boss that your chicken pecked you in the eye and you need to go to the doctors. When I got to work on Tuesday he looked at me and said your eye is still there. I'm like, yeah it is! He said he went around telling everyone that a chicken pecked my eye 'out'. I told him he should go listen to the message again.
ep.gif

I have 6 chickens that love to go visit our neighbors. 2 of our chickens are barred rocks. One of them is named Oprah. Ever since she was a day old I would call to her "O-O-O-Oprah." One day the chickens were next door and I needed to get them back in their pen, so I took the bag of dried mealy worms out and shook it while calling them home. Oprah was the farthest away so she was the last one to come running. She must have thought that I was going to forget her because she came waddle-running at full speed hollering "O-O-O-Oprah, O-O-O-Oprah!"

My five year old granddaughter enjoys gathering the chicken eggs when she comes to visit. One day when she was visiting we were out gathering the eggs. While I was checking the feed and water, I noticed she had put the eggs back inside one of the nesting box. I asked her why she did that, she said, "I want these to hatch onto baby chicks." (At the time I only had hens). I told her the eggs wouldn't hatch like that, there was a process the eggs had to go through before they hatched. Of course she wanted to know what process. I tried to explain to her that we had to have a rooster first, then a hen gad to sit on the eggs a few weeks. She asked why I didn't have a rooster. I told her I was picky and wanted just the right rooster. A week before Christmas I did get a rooster. A dear friend of the family gave me a gorgeous Austolorp (spelling? anyway, he was a young rooster, he started crowing last week). Well, Kylee came up to visit for Christmas and stayed a couple days. We were all sitting at breakfast on Saturday morning enjoying homemade biscuits, country ham and gravy and of course fresh scrambled eggs from my ladies. Kylee wanted to know whose egg she was eating, I told since they were scrambled, it was a little of each. She said,"you mean Chicky Wicky (a name she gave one of the chickens)" I said, "of course." Then just out of the blue with everyone (this was an extended family breakfast) at the table she said, "When is the rooster going to make baby chicks? You said when you get a rooster, you will get baby chicks." Of course out of fun everyone wanted me to answer her. All I could think to say was, "He's working on it Kylee, give him a chance." Then I reminded her the hens had to be ready to be a mommy too and sit on the eggs.
Well, that's my story, I know it's a little lengthy, but again, I can't tell a story in few words. Enjoy.

When I was a child, we had a Rhode Island Red rooster that absolutely hated me. He would run after me and try to spur me when I was out in the yard playing. If I were inside the house and he could hear me talking, he would fly up against the screen door and try to get in. One day when I got off the school bus, here he came--chasing me through the yard. I had to climb on top of the car to get away from him. Everyone on the bus saw this. Needless to say, it took a long time for me to live that down.

My husband and I share a house with my brother and his family, and they live in the top half and we live in the basement.
One day, my brother heard a tapping on their sliding door. He assumed it was me delivering the day's eggs, when to his surprise it was our surliest chicken, Melibea. She was standing at the back door, pecking at the window. Nick just stared at her, and eventually she stared back defiantly, hunkered down, and then dropped the biggest chicken dookie we had ever seen on that doorstep. Having done what she set out to do, she scratched a couple times and went on her way.

I am a newbie when it comes to chicken Keeping. My first two chickens were 6 week Ameraucana mix (mom is black ameraucana and dad I believe an EE)
We got the girls and everything was going well. They would cruise all day in my yard and have a feast. But would they go back to their coop at sunset for the evening? NOPE! They would come to my front door and either peck on the glass or cluck till they get my attention and have me carry them back to their coop!!
Once we got seven more chicks they started going to the coop but still every now and then they come for a "cuddle and carry" ;)

Last edited:
One day I sat down and logged onto Facebook. Right there on a local events and happenings page was a picture of a chicken. I thought "Gee that really looks like my Silver Cuckoo Maran, Maxine." Clicked on the link to read the story. Turns out it WAS Maxine. Apparently she had gotten out of my yard and another reader two blocks away had found her and submitted her picture in hopes of finding her absent-minded owner.

My husband and little one came out back with a bag of cheetos as I was cleaning the coop. My lovely Barred Rock whom I named The Boss, had just showed my little one that she is not shy of stealing food from one's hand the day before. As I turned back to my work , I warned my husband that she'd probably try a stunt if he wasn't careful... those words barely got out of my mouth when I heard a yell and saw the whole bag on the ground with all the ladies helping themselves. And to add insult to injury, he still had a cheeto in his hand and the Boss helped herself to that too.

Last edited:

more than words can say!

thank you guys! my silly billy is sick, she caught cold. at the moment I have got her inside and I am fighting for her life. I do hope she will get better!

happy new year to all animal lovers!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom