Ended Official BYC Mini-Contest - What’s Your Hobby

Pics
View attachment 2422931View attachment 2422932View attachment 2422933my next hobby, number 2, is art. I've done all sorts of things, from doodles, pencil, pen, that dog one is a lithograph.
View attachment 2422935here is a bronze I designed during my time working in a bronze foundry, the original form crafted by sticking globs of spru wax together into the shape of a dragon, then going through all the stuff one must do to bronze anything.
Even shaped a bit of clayView attachment 2422942the dog knocked off her hands.
Have not done much art lately, however...:oops:
Wow! That's some impressive sculpting :love

Hobby #1 - Collecting Stickers from everywhere and anyone.
I have always loved collecting stickers since I was little. My dad would let me get 1 from the quarter machine any time we were out and about together.
Fast forward, I let my kids put stickers on their stuff; eventually they started putting them inside back window of my car but that became a blind spot so I had to put my foot down! Then one day, my oldest son got a sticker from school and immediately pasted it on the outside of my car, without hesitation he was too excited to tell me why he got the sticker 🤦‍♀️
Considering my car is already salvaged (and paid off), I decided to allow it and it escalated from there. Over time, random people from anywhere I was (gas station down the street or even out of town) started giving me free stickers.
View attachment 2422102
This is just one side of my car... there's plenty more on the other side. Can you spot my BYC stickers?
I see a lego, a stormtrooper, a Jurassic world, a panda, another stormtrooper, on the gas tank, love the stormies!

View attachment 2422931View attachment 2422932View attachment 2422933my next hobby, number 2, is art. I've done all sorts of things, from doodles, pencil, pen, that dog one is a lithograph.
View attachment 2422935here is a bronze I designed during my time working in a bronze foundry, the original form crafted by sticking globs of spru wax together into the shape of a dragon, then going through all the stuff one must do to bronze anything.
Even shaped a bit of clayView attachment 2422942the dog knocked off her hands.
Have not done much art lately, however...:oops:
SUCH Talent! Another artist, yay!

What kind of fossils do you have? :pop It was already in my hobby picture, but here's a close up of my ammonite cleoniceras! One of my favorites!

View attachment 2422820

Obsession and actually bringing home good specimens are two different things lol and that is a gorgeous ammonite :love

We don’t get to go fossil hunting much. But we’re trying to get back to it. Only have a couple poorly preserved Gastropods found on the coast here in Washington. We’ve been talking about the areas around Moab and in Moab. I found a small piece of red petrified wood there while out riding the dirt bikes one day. Need to go back and find the rest of the tree!

Obsession and actually bringing home good specimens are two different things lol and that is a gorgeous ammonite :love

We don’t get to go fossil hunting much. But we’re trying to get back to it. Only have a couple poorly preserved Gastropods found on the coast here in Washington. We’ve been talking about the areas around Moab and in Moab. I found a small piece of red petrified wood there while out riding the dirt bikes one day. Need to go back and find the rest of the tree!

This year has definitely limited...well it has limited most of our activities but I'm hoping the mine that is close-ish to us will open again soon. It's an outdoor activity where people aren't right on top of each other so you would think they would keep it open to the public but I guess they're having trouble finding people to run the machines and flip the soil up there.

I probably have some little fossils your daughter would enjoy! It's not quite the same experience as finding them yourself but I could send her a little mystery bag of fossils! :)

I love petrified wood too! I only have one small piece.

11-23-20 petrified wood.JPG

She would be in fossil heaven :D

That petrified wood is so stinkin pretty. All the colors... it’s crazy how they mineralize into different colors from millions of years ago. The piece I found is small, but it’s from a section similar to the dark red outer ring. If I remember I’ll grab a picture of it at work tomorrow.

People make quite a killing off owning property with fossil beds in it. There’s one in Republic Washington, almost Canadian border. It was $50 per person for a few hours of digging in the sedimentary rock. The place was packed! But correct, not this year.

We want to know what you love! Whether you're lucky enough to have a hobby that pays the bills, or it's something you enjoy doing in your free time, tell us all about it! What are your creative and artistic pursuits? Do you collect something special? Did you need to buy an external hard drive to store all of the pictures you take? Share with us what hobbies you enjoy most!
Believe it or not, my hobby is flipping houses... or was. I did one this year for my mother. I'm finishing up my dad's house so it can be sold. I'm living in a reno...
It started as a means of survival but I became completely addicted during the first one.
I love everything about it. The hunt to find the right house, the designing phase, finding the right finishes within budget, the demo, rebuild and finishing, marketing, and most of all the great sense of satisfaction I feel in seeing the expressions on the new owners faces at how much they love their new home, where they will either retire or raise their family. It's so much more rewarding that working for big industry!
I calculated that I earned about $2.20/hr on the first flip! :lol: Which tells you just how much time it takes to get the work done but its worth it...
I flipped 5 houses in 5 years that were for profit. Mom's house (and dad's house) were for closure.
I always find myself slowing down to look more closely at that dilapidated house with the notice on the door, taped there with the "blue tape of death".
Here are some before, during and after pictures:
IMG_20200409_092126762.jpg
IMG_20200620_182607261.jpg
IMG_20200925_182538110.jpg

IMG_20200409_093333886.jpg
IMG_20200704_180109353.jpg
IMG_20200927_180601604.jpg

1606218152616.png

20170101_223851.jpg

IMG_20191214_141611671.jpg

Just before and afters... note the blue tape of death still stuck to the door.
IMG_0257.JPG

1606218355087.png

IMG_0239.JPG

Standing from inside the kitchen area. The wall was removed between the rooms
1606218923586.png

Believe it or not, my hobby is flipping houses... or was. I did one this year for my mother. I'm finishing up my dad's house so it can be sold. I'm living in a reno...
It started as a means of survival but I became completely addicted during the first one.
I love everything about it. The hunt to find the right house, the designing phase, finding the right finishes within budget, the demo, rebuild and finishing, marketing, and most of all the great sense of satisfaction I feel in seeing the expressions on the new owners faces at how much they love their new home, where they will either retire or raise their family. It's so much more rewarding that working for big industry!
I calculated that I earned about $2.20/hr on the first flip! :lol: Which tells you just how much time it takes to get the work done but its worth it...
I flipped 5 houses in 5 years that were for profit. Mom's house (and dad's house) were for closure.
I always find myself slowing down to look more closely at that dilapidated house with the notice on the door, taped there with the "blue tape of death".
Here are some before, during and after pictures:
View attachment 2423264View attachment 2423265View attachment 2423266

View attachment 2423268View attachment 2423267View attachment 2423269

View attachment 2423272
View attachment 2423270
View attachment 2423271

Just before and afters... note the blue tape of death still stuck to the door.
View attachment 2423277
View attachment 2423274

View attachment 2423278
Standing from inside the kitchen area. The wall was removed between the rooms
View attachment 2423279

Wow!!! The difference in your flips in like night and day!!! Love it!
Want to come flip my house while I'm still in it? :lau

Back
Top Bottom