Ended Official BYC Mini Contest - What is Your Hobby?

Pics
Loved seeing another "potholder person," Started when I was very young - my sister showed me how. Very difficult to find the type of loops I prefer to use. In the olden days Ben Franklin Dime stores used to have individual packages of one color loops- I used to spend all my allowance getting as many different colors as I could afford.

Now only can find the cheap, thin nylon ones.Don't even think people use pot holders any more. The have "ove gloves," etc. It's a dying art.

One of my favorite things to do is bake/make things. I don't do it as often as I'd like, as other things come first. Chickens, for one ;) I do it in my spare time, usually on the weekends and my husband is a big promoter. He does love his sweets!View attachment 1969004

Nice work Meg!

Entry #1
One of my hobbies is Crochet.
I learnt to crochet 2 years ago and have crocheted every day since. I'm lucky enough to sell my finished work earning a nice little income.
My goal for 2020 is to become a designer and sell my own patterns.
Here is just a few of my favourite projects....
BeFunky-collage (1).jpg comp.jpg

Entry #1
One of my hobbies is Crochet.
I learnt to crochet 2 years ago and have crocheted every day since. I'm lucky enough to sell my finished work earning a nice little income.
My goal for 2020 is to become a designer and sell my own patterns.
Here is just a few of my favourite projects....
View attachment 1969301 View attachment 1969300

You picked that up fast! Nice you can sell what you make. Good job!

Entry #3
A great hobby that i enjoy is Geocaching!
It's like a great big world wide treasure hunt.
I have a app on my phone that shows where all the geocaches are. Then we go out and find them.
The geocaches are containers usually containing a name log that you sign and some extra items that people swap around.
It's a great hobby to get you up and outside and exploring the world.
Here's some pictures to show some of the different containers that are used and a name log.
Casper and Gemma with Geocache GC7VZ43  Dingle Lane 'Top of the hill'  1st January 2019 (3).jpg Casper and Gemma with Geocache GC7VZ43  Dingle Lane 'Top of the hill'  1st January 2019 (2).jpg Casper and Gemma with Geocache.GC78N0Y   Dingle Lane. 'Spread your wings' 1st January 2019 (5).jpg Casper and Gemma with Geocache.GC78N0Y   Dingle Lane. 'Spread your wings' 1st January 2019 (3).jpg Casper and Gemma with Geocache.GC78N0Y   Dingle Lane. 'Spread your wings' 1st January 2019 (4).jpg

20191128_084905.jpg
Entry #1
One of my hobbies is baking. I started in my early 20's, determined to learn to bake good, wholesome whole-grain bread for my family, which I did for many years. I never used a bread machine, it was all by hand. I made five loaves at a time. Some was sliced and frozen. Toasted, it was as good as fresh and lasted till the next week's baking. I even sold bread to neighbors and friends.

What did I sacrifice? Oh... a full-time job, I suppose. The little extras other people enjoyed by having two incomes, like annual vacations to exotic, faraway lands. Things like that. But I got to stay home and raise my own kids, to watch them grow, to guide them through the changes of life. I never thought of it as a sacrifice.

I'm currently working on learning a sourdough technique and artisan-style breads. DH found me a great cookbook, I will come back and post the name and authors tomorrow (we are on the road today). Here's yesterday's attempt. If I can find it I will post pics of my traditional-looking loaves also.

20191127_142154.jpg

ETA: Found it! But it showed up at the top. Oh well!

Last edited:
Hobby # 1
Bracelet making.
I learned how to make bracelets using several techniques, but the one I use most often is called Bead crochet. You string the seed beads onto your string in a specific patter or you can do a random "soup". Then you crochet the beads and string to make the bracelet.
I mainly make them as gifts for other people and my friend and I try to plan at least 1 day a month to get together so we can bead!
IMG_4922.JPG

Here are a couple of things that I have made. The yellow, green and black bracelet is in the design of the Jamaican Flag and I made it for my first trip to Jamaica 2 years ago. I made 1 for me and 1 for each of the friends I was traveling with!

Back
Top Bottom