Ended Official BYC Mini Contest - What is Your Hobby?

Pics
ENTRY #2 - GARDENING

It started with a water garden. When gardening, why not dream big? So when my husband and children went away to visit grandparents for a few weeks, I dug and hauled rocks and liner and plants, and created a small water ecosystem complete with fish and frogs and water lilies that is still going 18 years later:

HA087935 water garden with irises SMALL.jpg

UKR12280 irises by water garden ADJ.jpg
100_2950 water lettuce, cameleon plant, water lily.JPG

UKR12268 rhododendron ADJ small.jpg

I enjoyed creating that garden so much that next year I took a spade and dug up another area of the yard. This time I planted a garden of hostas and astilbes under two tall spruce trees.

P6182200.JPG

P6182202.JPG

P7232405.JPG

I didn't stop there. I kept digging and digging, putting in a new garden each summer. I had become a hosta fanatic, and before I came to my senses ten years later, I had planted over 110 hostas of 70+ varieties all around my yard. The gardens were gorgeous - but I had to weed them every year!!

Of course I have more than just hostas. Mainly I have shade plants because I live under large trees. I've planted various ferns, wild geraniums, bleeding hearts... And I have over 400 irises, all of them Siberian irises that look spectacular for one stunning week in early June.

UKR24185.JPG

UKR24001 wild geraniums for FB.jpg

Naturally I photograph my flowers and gardens because my #1 hobby is photography :) I'm not an expert gardener and I don't make money at it, but I have learned a lot about gardening over the last 20 years. Perhaps one of the most important things I learned is how to keep deer from eating my 110 hostas so that my gardens continue to look good all summer.
UKR12306.JPG

UKR12505a.JPG

Attachments

• P7222379_coral bells on porch.JPG
    P7222379_coral bells on porch.JPG
    794.3 KB · Views: 2
I recently learned to make fleece socks, mittens, and neck warmers from videos on you tube. Fabric store had big sale on fleece, 60% off, then remnants an additional 50% off, so I made a bunch.
socks
View attachment 1971950
mittens
I don't know why it works, but it does, this strange shape makes a 3 dimensional mitten from one piece of fleece
View attachment 1971948
neck warmers
View attachment 1971952
socks video:
mittens video
neck warmer video:

SueT, thank you so much for sharing the tutorial videos!! I love it!! I am going to make socks and mittens for the homeless!! I also hope to see if the local schools have some kids that can use some as well. Also, our local library has a place that you can leave coats, scarves, gloves and things and then those who need them can take them, no questions asked. I want to put some of these there as well!!

ENTRY #2 - GARDENING

It started with a water garden. When gardening, why not dream big? So when my husband and children went away to visit grandparents for a few weeks, I dug and hauled rocks and liner and plants, and created a small water ecosystem complete with fish and frogs and water lilies that is still going 18 years later:

View attachment 1972973
View attachment 1972851 View attachment 1972852
View attachment 1973000
I enjoyed creating that garden so much that next year I took a spade and dug up another area of the yard. This time I planted a garden of hostas and astilbes under two tall spruce trees.

View attachment 1972977
View attachment 1972978
View attachment 1972976
I didn't stop there. I kept digging and digging, putting in a new garden each summer. I had become a hosta fanatic, and before I came to my senses ten years later, I had planted over 110 hostas of 70+ varieties all around my yard. The gardens were gorgeous - but I had to weed them every year!!

Of course I have more than just hostas. Mainly I have shade plants because I live under large trees. I've planted various ferns, wild geraniums, bleeding hearts... And I have over 400 irises, all of them Siberian irises that look spectacular for one stunning week in early June.

View attachment 1973002
View attachment 1973001

Naturally I photograph my flowers and gardens because my #1 hobby is photography :) I'm not an expert gardener and I don't make money at it, but I have learned a lot about gardening over the last 20 years. Perhaps one of the most important things I learned is how to keep deer from eating my 110 hostas so that my gardens continue to look good all summer.
View attachment 1973010
View attachment 1973012

Gorgeous gardens!

Time i entered.

My hobby is making Bee hives. my and my dad sell them under the name Jinjer&Jacks (coz im ginger haired and my dads nickname is Jack) and i make them in my garage. It all started when i had bees and in the swarming season i couldn't find enough hives to put my swarms in. I quickly knocked a hive up out of scraps i found in my garage and that is when i realized that making bee hives isn't as hard as it sounds if you have the right tools. My father is a carpenter which helps, and i also want to be a woodworker when i get leave school and get a job. The hives i make are National and they are made of Hardwood plywood and reused timber my dad gets from his work. Sorry i haven't got any pics, if i find any ill post them in this thread.

Entry #2 - Writing Stories
I LOVE writing fiction stories, especially for children and teenagers. I have my own story writing website and I publish both short stories and full-length ebooks. I think being an author is one of the most satisfying, enjoyable, and fulfilling hobbies ever! My first book was a collection of children's stories, and the title story is about a chicken! It's called "Raymond and the Rooster" and the picture on the front is of a rooster we used to own. We had to get rid of him because he was so mean!

I just found and downloaded your book. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Now you have all winter to plan what you want to do next summer!
You certainly have a point. When I first got into gardening, I spent many, many evenings reading books on gardening and going through catalogs of hostas, making wish lists and drawings. These days since my hostas continue to grow and expand, I have to split or dig out plants. I've been giving them away to friends. I don't want to dig up any new garden space because I've learned my lesson - I spent a LOT of time weeding!!!

Now in the wintertime, I often spend time enjoying hobby #3, which I will post soon...

ENTRY #3 - BAKING

There is a book called The 5 Love Languages. These "love languages" include words of affirmation, acts of service, gifts, quality time, and physical touch. I've often kidded my family and said that baking was my love language since I love to bake for a crowd or bake and give away.

Most of the time there is a homemade dessert in the house. My husband - and all the rest of the family - has a sweet tooth, and if there's no dessert around, he'll eat the chocolate chips out of the bag! At this time of year (December), I bake a lot of cookies. I started baking Christmas cookies with my kids when they were just old enough to make a mess of it, but have fun. Now my daughters are expert decorators and help clean our messes. ;)

IMGL3642.JPG

DSC02553.JPG

DSC02644 chocolate almond toffee ADJ small.jpg

0E4A4641.jpg

0E4A4695.jpg

VE227559 Christmas cookies ADJ crop.jpg

HA021470 teddy bear small.jpg

PB294063 Christmas cookies with horses FOR PRINTING.jpg

PC211245 Christmas cookies 2009 copy.jpg

Xmas cookies - cropped.jpg

And here is a cookie puzzle. I used to make these for preschool and elementary school children:
cookie puzzle - farm Nov copy.jpg

When it's not Christmas cookies season, I love to experiment and bake various cakes or tortes. If you're not tires of pictures, here are a few of my creations:
CMBD7087 torte small.jpg
CMBD7158 torte ADJ feather small.jpg
CMBD7161 slice of torte ADJ small.jpg
DSC03429 peanut butter pie SMALL2.jpg
poppy cake for Easter ADJ small.jpg
ROCH0066 peanut butter pie small.JPG

Hmmmm, just looking at there makes me want to go back to the kitchen....

ENTRY #3 - BAKING

There is a book called The 5 Love Languages. These "love languages" include words of affirmation, acts of service, gifts, quality time, and physical touch. I've often kidded my family and said that baking was my love language since I love to bake for a crowd or bake and give away.

Most of the time there is a homemade dessert in the house. My husband - and all the rest of the family - has a sweet tooth, and if there's no dessert around, he'll eat the chocolate chips out of the bag! At this time of year (December), I bake a lot of cookies. I started baking Christmas cookies with my kids when they were just old enough to make a mess of it, but have fun. Now my daughters are expert decorators and help clean our messes. ;)

View attachment 1973757

View attachment 1973758

View attachment 1973760

View attachment 1973761

View attachment 1973762

View attachment 1973763

View attachment 1973765

View attachment 1973766
View attachment 1973770

View attachment 1973776

And here is a cookie puzzle. I used to make these for preschool and elementary school children:
View attachment 1973768
When it's not Christmas cookies season, I love to experiment and bake various cakes or tortes. If you're not tires of pictures, here are a few of my creations:
View attachment 1973785 View attachment 1973786 View attachment 1973788 View attachment 1973789 View attachment 1973790 View attachment 1973791
Hmmmm, just looking at there makes me want to go back to the kitchen....

Wow, some good looking treats there @Kluk-Kluk

Have you ever been over on our Home Baker's thread?
any-home-bakers-here.921333

Back
Top Bottom