Official BYC Poll - At what age did your hen(s) start laying?

How old was your hen(s) when they started laying?

• Total voters
My Amerucana started laying at 21 weeks. The rest followed in about 3-4 days. I am at 23 weeks now, and I believe that they are all laying as I am getting between 4-5 eggs a day. The Amerucana is the most prolific. She lays every single day! I know it's her because she is the only one that lays blue eggs. All of the girls free range during the day and are locked in their coop at night. I feed them Nutrina layer pellets.

1 Blue Andalusian
2 Crele Penadenesca
1 Sicilian Buttercup
2 Black Copper Marans
1 Colombian Wyandotte
1 Blue Wyandotte
1 Barred rock
1 Ameraucana

My Plymouth Blue Rock was 17 week.
RIR at 18 weeks
SLW at 20 weeks
RIR and BO around 22 weeks.
My Brown Leghorn is now 26 weeks and is my freeloading gal. She has a very small comb, no wattles yet and her face is just turning pink. Hopefully she will mature before long. Patience is not my strong suit.

Our easter eggers started laying at just 16 weeks. Then at about 18 the barred rocks.

The Columbians, Houdans and Silkies however are little freeloaders right now. Over 5 months old and nothing yet.(I understand the Silkies can take up to a year, we didn't get them for egg production anyhow, more of less to have a clown show LOL)

I have four hens; 2 marans and 2 rhode island red. One of them just started laying yesterday. She ( I just assume it is the same hen b/c the eggs are so very similar in size and color) laid a 2nd today as well. They are all 4 & 1/2 months old. The 2nd egg appeared to have been pecked b/c it had a crack in it but not a crack lengthwise but an indented crack; wonder if she was cking it out .... got some layer feed today along with oyster shell. Anything else I might need to focus on other than fresh water daily? Loving these girls..they love to talk!

Back
Top Bottom