Official BYC POLL: Chicken Keeping - Easier, same or harder than dogs/cats?

How did/do find chicken keeping compared to keeping dogs/cats?

• Easier than keeping dogs

Votes: 232 62.0%
  • Harder than keeping dogs

Votes: 62 16.6%
  • Same as keeping dogs

Votes: 54 14.4%
  • Easier than keeping cats

Votes: 78 20.9%
  • Harder than keeping cats

Votes: 125 33.4%
  • Same as keeping cats

Votes: 78 20.9%

• Total voters
Hm... I voted easier than dogs and cats, mainly for the reason that there's no yearly shot hoopla and checkups. They aren't needy like dogs, and you don't have to convince them they want to stay inside and behave like you do cats.

You can convince your cats to behave? I can't. What's your secret Banty?

I'd say it kind of depends on how many chickens you have, and your set up. If you have 1 coop in your backyard with six little free-range bantams running around, it will be a lot easier than having 4 coops with a breeding flock in each one, that needs constant record keeping, thought out breeding moves, culling etc. You know what I mean? I voted easier than dogs, harder than cats.

Reading some of the replies so far, have to smile.

Keeping chickens can be a lot of work… or very, very little.

All it takes is a bit of planning.

For me, I have little choice but to have little work to do keeping a flock of about 12.

The only daily chore I do is collecting eggs, as nothing else needs daily attention.

Weekly, I fill the 2 week supply of water. Monthly I fill the 5 week food supply and check secured rodent baits. Yearly, I clean the coop…

I can be away for over a week, they will have plenty of food, water, and a secured coop and run to enjoy without me. I would miss them a whole lot more than they would me…

I cannot say that for my needy dog or any other animal ever in my care.

I'd say it kind of depends on how many chickens you have, and your set up. If you have 1 coop in your backyard with six little free-range bantams running around, it will be a lot easier than having 4 coops with a breeding flock in each one, that needs constant record keeping, thought out breeding moves, culling etc. You know what I mean? I voted easier than dogs, harder than cats.
That's true. I have about 40 birds and only two pens, as of now. Sometimes up to 4--6.

I'd say it's about the same. They both have to be fed, watered, and looked after.

I would much rather have chickens though. No indoor pets for me. Which are where the majority of dogs/cats live.

I've basically gotten to the point where my task list for chickens is very small.

One set of chickens -
Feed (daily)
Water (every few days with the system I have)
Close up the coop at night
Clean the coop - Maybe every few months? Haven't had to do it yet.

Second set of chickens -
Feed (daily)
Water (every few days with the system I have)
Clean the coop - (weekly since it's a small coop)

That's it. You'd basically have to do the same with dogs/cats. Let the dog out to use the bathroom and clean the liter box for cats.

So IMO, the same. But chickens over dogs/cats FOR SURE.

for me the dogs are easier, but would be nice if they got up at the same time to go outside. My chicken experience to date has been a nightmare and will continue to be until Mareks is gone. now what I think is easier then dogs and chickens is ducks ...lol... give um a pool and they are happy

I can't vote....it would be like comparing apples to oranges to bananas.
With cats and dogs, it can depend on the individual animal.
At least dogs are trainable, don't think I'll ever let a cat live in my house again.
With chickens much can depend on how their housing is constructed,
it can be PITA difficult or easypeasy.
Any live animal requires daily care and/or attention/observation.
Being able to travel, even day trips, can be complicated depending on the animals involved and circumstances of the keepers.

Back
Top Bottom