Official BYC Poll: Have Your Neighbors Ever Complained About Your Chickens?

Have Your Neighbors Ever Complained About Your Chickens?

• No, never/ they don't seem to care

Votes: 212 67.9%
  • Yes, because of the noise of the hens

Votes: 10 3.2%
  • Yes, about the noise of my rooster(s)

Votes: 19 6.1%
  • Yes, about the smell

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Yes, about the coop

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Yes, about the run

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Yes, because of the rodents

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Yes, because they trespassed onto their property

Votes: 24 7.7%
  • My neighbors are far away to even notice them

Votes: 69 22.1%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 25 8.0%

• Total voters
All of my immediate neighbors really like my chickens. IE the ones who would be most bothered by the noise or anything. They don't mind the Egg Song. The neighbors with kids/grandkids like to watch the chicken run around my yard, and didn't care that once I had to hop my fence into their yard to retrieve a pullet who had flown over the fence (who got a wing trim right then and there). One neighbor has an elderly dog who was quite fascinated by the chickens, so I'm glad I could offer him some entertainment in his last days.

I've only had one person in the neighborhood get snitty at me, and it was when I was really upset and made a post on Nextdoor asking for help finding one of my chicks that had gotten loose (taken by a hawk, it turned out). She decided THAT was the opportune time to kick me while I was down and get on her HOA high horse, which she was wrong about anyway.
I haven't heard anything since though so whatever. Mind your own business, lady.

Yeah I rarely get on Nextdoor (on only on my computer, not the app). Use it mostly for buying and selling items locally. I was really hoping someone would at least find the remains of that chick though, it was my only Rhode Island Red out of the hatch and I was looking forward to keeping him.

After she made that comment to me, I just blocked her. Didn't reply, didn't message her, nothing. Don't need that sort of attitude in my life.

I am not sure if they are in your area, or even around anymore but another place to find stuff, free too is called freecycle.net Edit: I went there and it seems to have changed up a bit but the general 'theme' is the same. Get stuff others don't want, often times its pretty good stuff too.

I used to frequent there to get old appliances etc to either fix and sell / give away to needy people or just flat out recycle myself.

It might be an alternative to finding local stuff to buy / barter etc, w/o having to go thru mygermanshepardranawaybecauseiranoutofpeanutbutter.com and putting up with the miserable neighbor garbage.

There's also craigslist too however that has gone downhill pretty much over the years as well sadly.

Aaron

I wanted chickens for a very long time but lived in a small town that didn’t allow them. Mind you, it was a RURAL town with a population of less than 1,000 and is surrounded by corn fields, but we couldn’t have chickens. 🤷🏼‍♀🤦🏼‍♀️ We moved out of town almost two years ago and now my chicken dreams are reality. Neighbors haven’t complained but aren’t really close enough to hear them anyway.

My guy neighbor built my chicken coop for us, but later complained about roosters. Our HOA didn't have rules about roosters, then he complained and now they do. I still keep roosters and so do neighbors, HOA doesn't act on anything. My neighbor has a closer neighbor now that has a rooster and it crows every day. I do try and control some of the crowing of mine though, keep him in until after 9 am or so.

Back
Top Bottom