Official BYC Poll: How Do You Keep Flies Out Of Your Coop?

How Do You Keep Flies Out Of Your Coop?

• I clean their coop regularly

Votes: 147 62.3%
  • I use sand on the coop floor to keep it dry and odorless

Votes: 50 21.2%
  • I have electric fly zappers in the coop

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • I grow carnivorous plants around the coop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I use fans around the coop to keep the air moving

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I keep waterers out of the coop to avoid moisture

Votes: 69 29.2%
  • I clean up their left-over snacks and treats

Votes: 53 22.5%
  • I eliminate stagnant & pooling water

Votes: 75 31.8%
  • I breed fly predators such as non-stinging wasps

Votes: 7 3.0%
  • I've placed my compost pile far away from the coop & run

Votes: 62 26.3%
  • I use fly traps

Votes: 78 33.1%
  • I clean/dust their coop with repellants and/or pesticides

Votes: 32 13.6%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 37 15.7%

• Total voters
swept out every morning,sanitized.fresh pine wood shavings.no smell to attract anything.Run is cleaned through day as need ,swept up,bagged.Coop door is never left open,they go out or in.Screening on all openings of course.Nats can kill chickens easily ,when in large numbers, as well,so screening is imperative.
I live clean,they deserve to live clean.

flyStrike,the best,dilute,a teaspoon in a qt of water.hard surfaces spray,spray door ways,steps,extc.or drop granulas.hard surfaces.not for animals.in window sills extc made by StarBar.best price was valley vet.but bought 5lb at at time,smallfeed stores have small cans.good for around house.next yr see stain wipes off.

THis makes me think. Once you got the little sniffy cardboard. When it comes time to redo them, instead of paying a few dollars for a new one, be a cheap ass like me, add a few drops of vanilla extract maybe and that'd be the equiv of a refill, only cheaper?

Wondering if that'd work.
Aaron
Tried it, doesn't work. Also tried different types of vanilla air fresheners, didn't work. Has to be the vanilla tree car fresheners. Works great but I only put mine up at the start of summer, seems to work all season long. I don't dust with chemicals, or sprays, just the sand floors and vanilla trees. Bug free year round.

1622987650515.png
I use these traps. They don't smell bad, the flies die and dry out and when I empty the traps, the ducks ad chickens enjoy eating the dry, dead flies. I modified the traps by cutting a slit in them (that I keep closed with a clothes pin) so it is easier to empty the dead flies.

View attachment 2706361I use these traps. They don't smell bad, the flies die and dry out and when I empty the traps, the ducks ad chickens enjoy eating the dry, dead flies. I modified the traps by cutting a slit in them (that I keep closed with a clothes pin) so it is easier to empty the dead flies.
I was curious about this!! Thanks for answering my question! Do you use an egg or some poo for bait? Lol i watched a video where a guy used old eggs lol

Similar to what others have shared, I try to have loose ground in the coop and run with sand and soil, and also loose soil and mulch around the garden. This lets the hens kick over and cover their poo before the flies come!

Also a lid on the compost pile helps too.

And I do walk around scooping poo off my patio and path to keep flies away and less poo on the kids shoes! 😄🐔

Back
Top Bottom