Official BYC Poll: How do you name your pet chickens?

How do you name your pet chickens?

• We don’t name our chickens!

Votes: 33 7.2%
  • We let the kids name them.

Votes: 77 16.8%
  • We give them old-fashioned names (Flora, Prissy, Hazel, etc.).

Votes: 81 17.7%
  • We start their names with the same letter (Bailey, Barb, Beatrice, etc.).

Votes: 11 2.4%
  • We name them by personality (Sassy, Gabby, Bossy, etc.).

Votes: 112 24.5%
  • We name them after food (Peanut, Nugget, etc.).

Votes: 78 17.1%
  • We don’t have a special system.

Votes: 162 35.4%
  • We name them by appearance (Red, Fluffy, Lavender, etc.).

Votes: 145 31.7%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 150 32.8%

• Total voters
Pics
I have several named by my children, so they have Pokémon names, one is named after a Trolls character, one is named after my daughter (she named her haha) and my husband one of the girls Brad. From there, the names have been chosen as we get to know their character and appearance. We have a white Silkie named Betty White, a black Cochin mix that looked like a penguin so we called her Mumble, a frizzle Cochin named Miss Frizzle, and two twin Ameraucanas named Fluff and Puff. :)

The rest have more clever names. I have two English Orps that I named the Dashwood sisters—Elinor and Marianne, we have a BCM that we got after trading back in the boy to the breeder that was supposed to be a girl. That boy was named Bluebell…so the new girl is Newbell haha. My mauve Orp is very sophisticated and fashionable so I named her Coco Chanel, and then I have 4 little bantams that follow the pullet Brad everywhere like she’s their mommy and we call them the Brad Pack :)
Elinor and Marianne. Love it. One of my favorite stories.

We just name them whatever pops into our heads. We have three BPRs named Gigi, Dior, and Esperanza, three RIRs named Ginger, Italia, and Chardonnay ( later nicknamed “ThunderBird” as she’s not very pleasant or delicate), and three BOs named Nutmeg, Hazel, and Butters Blondie.

I go with personality first, appearance second and then after favorite songs.

Rudy....well she is just plain rude.
Trudy is Rudy's shadow.

Robin is white with a red chest.
Crooky has a crooked beak.
Crinkles has a crinkled straight comb.

Misty for the song Misty Blue.
Jackie for the song Jackie Blue.
Both of those birds are blue rocks.

Bitty was very tiny, Red is red and Smudge has the absolute worst patterning silver laced I have ever seen.

I have a batch that hatched on May 4 (Star Wars day) and on May 5, (Cinco de Mayo). So the Star Wars chicks were R2D2, Princess Laia and Maz. The Cinco de Mayo chick that I kept is Margarita.
Margarita is kind of ditzy with a too-floofy crest that obscures her vision, so it seems appropriate.....
3FBA610B-9ECE-4936-BA8D-CA73AF03B0DA.jpeg
Usually I like to pick names whose meanings represent the qualities I want to see in my chickens (and other animals). For example, naming your rooster ‘Chaos’ or ‘Killer’ might not be a good idea.....
I named my rooster Beldar after the Coneheads alien dad who is smart, quirky, kind, polite, and treats his family and humans w respect. Our Beldar is all of those things...
2B141F4E-1E8E-4C5A-8878-7FEC7E207974.jpeg

Last edited:
Either my kids name them, or it's something random that I think fits. Names I've come up with are

Clementine
Ursula
Gertrude
Paco
Charlene
Willa
Sweet Feet (the ridiculously fast leghorn I couldn't catch)

And a few examples of my 6-year-olds picks:

Ugly
Rainbow
Bossy
Bella
Greedy (but this one is a duck)

It is extremely rewarding to name your chickens, transforming them from just egg-laying machines to house pets.

Despite the fact that there is no shortage of human names, you might want to give your chickens a more creative name. As with people, each chicken has their own unique personality. Chickens also have fine memories. Whenever you call out their names, they will come running, particularly if it is because food is in sight.

So we would like to find out: How do you name your pet chickens?

Place your vote above, and please elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other". And feel free to share your chickens' names with us as well.

View attachment 2866706

(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)
The first round of hens all got names of Queens from British history and the second round all got 80s girl names. So we have Elizabeth hanging out with Courtney and Victoria hanging out with Debbie! Lol!

Back
Top Bottom