Official BYC Poll: How do you name your pet chickens?

How do you name your pet chickens?

• We don’t name our chickens!

Votes: 33 7.2%
  • We let the kids name them.

Votes: 77 16.8%
  • We give them old-fashioned names (Flora, Prissy, Hazel, etc.).

Votes: 81 17.7%
  • We start their names with the same letter (Bailey, Barb, Beatrice, etc.).

Votes: 11 2.4%
  • We name them by personality (Sassy, Gabby, Bossy, etc.).

Votes: 112 24.5%
  • We name them after food (Peanut, Nugget, etc.).

Votes: 78 17.1%
  • We don’t have a special system.

Votes: 162 35.4%
  • We name them by appearance (Red, Fluffy, Lavender, etc.).

Votes: 145 31.7%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 150 32.8%

• Total voters
Pics
We have all the names ending with the same sound.
Dottie, Bessie, Sylvie, Audry (SL Wyandottes)
Fluffy Feathers, Lovey Feathers (Bl. Australorps)
Sweetie, Cutie, Honey (Buff. Orps.)
Daphne, Daisy and Handsome Henry (Jersey Giants)

All of them except the wyandottes have "Feathers" attached because my daughter said they are the "Feathers Family". So.... Sweetie Feathers, Cutie Feathers, Lovey Feathers.......lol

Personality.
There's Big Red, the smallest of the bunch. There's the golden comet, Captain Fluffy. There's the Black Ostralorpe? Midnight, and then there's the, not sure what she is, who I call shadow because she's real skittish, scared of her own shadow. These are the primary names, but when they get into my garden and eat my squash off the vine, then we have nugget, and we have sammich, and we have dumpling and pot pie.

Aaron

I used old fashioned names that were special to me: Mattie & Mitzi (barred rocks), Mercy, Metta, & Millie (sapphire gems). Mattie (named after a sweet elderly lady I took care of) is the boss and then there is Ditsy Mitzi...lol...named after my grandmother's dog. Mercy got her name because she survived a hawk attack. Metta means loving kindness and Millie was the name of both of my husband's grandmothers.

Attachments

• IMG_2814.jpg
    IMG_2814.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2823.jpg
    IMG_2823.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 2
Ours have themes.

Silkies get their names based off of color.
Bianca- italian word for white
Nero- italian word for black
And so on. Different languages have really funny words for color, names like Dudu, Fun fun, and Pupu.

The roos (standard not bantam) get named after guys like Hulk Hogan and The Rock.

Especially quirky birds get unthemed names
Squeaks- lets her eggs slip out wherever
Tweety- always has something to say
Peanut- sweet and friendly like our very own @the_peanut_coop

They don’t all get names but if one has an outstanding personality or quirky behavior she will get a name, for instance several years ago one hen would jump into the treat bowl before I could get the food into it and she was named punkinhead because she got a clump of cooked pumpkin on her head.

I got one that tries that a lot too, Ill be heading down with the food dish and she's jumping straight up like she's trying to meet me half way with the thing. Ok, so IF you manage to momentarily level with the food bowl mid air... now what tootsie??

Aaron

I started out naming them for color (Buttercup, my Buff Orpington) or let my grandkids name them (cotton tail because of the white fuzzy butt as a chick. LOL). But in a short few weeks they all usually get new names because of their personality traits. Nutmeg a Barnevelder became Nervous Nelly because she freaks out so much about ANY human getting within 2-3 yards; Ruby became Squeeker for the constant sound she made that reminded me of rubbing a wet rubber ball. Hazel and Henrietta the Bielefelders I now just call The Twins because I can't tell them apart any more. I also have 4 twelve week old Crested Cream Legbars that need names. The one I'm sure is a male I call "4" because he hatched 4th - creative, no? The second one hatched I named Deuce but I've lost track of which one that is now that they're feathered out. The whole process is kinda fun!

I just name them by their personality and what suits them lol. I have chickens named after food, (Pancake, Pretzel, Cupcake, Sprinkles, Cinnamon), named after a flower (Daisy), one named Curious chicken, one is named Chabo, he's a japanese bantam and Chabo is the japanese word for bantam, and 2 of my roosters are named Peck and Scratch, one is named Goldie after a baseball player, one is named Ringo after the beatle, and some of them just have random names like Speckle, Champion, and Princess.

Back
Top Bottom