Official BYC Poll: How do you name your pet chickens?

How do you name your pet chickens?

• We don’t name our chickens!

Votes: 33 7.2%
  • We let the kids name them.

Votes: 77 16.8%
  • We give them old-fashioned names (Flora, Prissy, Hazel, etc.).

Votes: 81 17.7%
  • We start their names with the same letter (Bailey, Barb, Beatrice, etc.).

Votes: 11 2.4%
  • We name them by personality (Sassy, Gabby, Bossy, etc.).

Votes: 112 24.5%
  • We name them after food (Peanut, Nugget, etc.).

Votes: 78 17.1%
  • We don’t have a special system.

Votes: 162 35.4%
  • We name them by appearance (Red, Fluffy, Lavender, etc.).

Votes: 145 31.7%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 150 32.8%

• Total voters
Pics
I like to name my chickens so members of my household, and myself, have an easy was to refer to a chicken. For example, "Blue is broody." or "Blackie is trying to roost on the fence again." I name my chickens sometimes after their parentage (i.e. Betty Boop's cockerel son was named BB, another roo is named "Junior" in honor of his dad), based on color (Blue, Wendy [she's red], Blackie, Buffy), based on birth circumstances (Squash's shell was cracked), personality traits (Indy, Spunk, Scratch, one's named a dirtyword, Burrito [used to wrap her like a burrito for bumblefoot treatment]), and finally, we resort to human or classic names (Maddy, Poppy, Klaus, Gertie, Bellatrix, Penelope, Henrietta, Rooster Cogburn, Betty Boop). There are at least six that don't have names so we usually refer to them as (Burrito's baby, one of the leghorns, one of the barred rocks, etc).

It is extremely rewarding to name your chickens, transforming them from just egg-laying machines to house pets.

Despite the fact that there is no shortage of human names, you might want to give your chickens a more creative name. As with people, each chicken has their own unique personality. Chickens also have fine memories. Whenever you call out their names, they will come running, particularly if it is because food is in sight.

So we would like to find out: How do you name your pet chickens?

Place your vote above, and please elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other". And feel free to share your chickens' names with us as well.

View attachment 2866706

(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)
We name ours with flower names - Lilac, Buttercup, Petunia, Clover, Thistle, Poppy, Zinnia, etc.

I generally don't name my birds, because they come and go from the flock and I often can't tell them apart anyway. Roosters though - because it's a love/hate relationship with them anyway, they get demon names. The RIR in my profile pic is Mephistopheles.
Also my three drakes I all call Uncle Quacker because I can't tell them apart but that name is hilarious to me.

It is extremely rewarding to name your chickens, transforming them from just egg-laying machines to house pets.

Despite the fact that there is no shortage of human names, you might want to give your chickens a more creative name. As with people, each chicken has their own unique personality. Chickens also have fine memories. Whenever you call out their names, they will come running, particularly if it is because food is in sight.

Place your vote above, and please elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other". And feel free to share your chickens' names with us as well.

View attachment 2866706

We were the kids when we got chickens, so I selected Let The Kids Name Them. We have some named by appearance (Midnight, Pearl (my little brother says she looks like she has pearls on her feathers. She's a Plymouth Barred Rock), and Red (we later realized one of our steers had that same name so we changed it to April. It somehow took us over a year to realize that), and Speckles. We used to have Muffy, Indy (her feathers reminded me of stereotypical Native American, or Indian, feathers they wore on their heads) and Betty (Black Betty by Ram Jam)), and some just have random names. We have Peep and Aretha (I guess her old owners named her after a noise she made. Screaming randomly) and we used to have Amber as well.

Three of my ladies are named after their leg band. Pink leg band is Bubblegum. Blue leg band is Sky. And purple leg band is Plum. One is named Boots because she has the fluffiest feet, another is named Sweet Pea because I like that name. Then I have Nugget, it just suits her. Chipmunk looked like a chipmunk as a baby and Soldier is a feisty roo. Finally Little Big Shot, I don't know why. So I guess a few of the options, personality, appearance, and random.

The first 4 ISA browns are named Daisy, Speckles, Cinnamon, Dahlia. The 4 Welsummers are Gertrude, Olena, Ginger, Tootsie. Xena, who looks like she had a warrior head dress, is a Maran x Cream legbar. Alpha, Beta are black sex links, and Delta, Gamma are Golden Comets. All kinds of names for 3 different acquired groups. Food, flowers, tv characters, appearance characteristics and Greek alphabet.

We named our chickens based on a type of system. My salmon faverolle’s are named after salmon breeds. My Swedish flower hens are named after flowers. My red speckled Sussex are named Nessie, Swiss Miss, & Cocoa since they reminded us of hot chocolate with marshmallows. We have themes for our flock & we've named all 21 of our chickens.

View attachment 2866706

3 of ours are named after celebrities/ characters …

1. Betty White (she is a legend) (she is a mostly white, Silver Laced Wyandotte
2. Goldie Hen- (self explanatory lol) Gold Laced Wyandotte
3. Dory - she is the little engine that could & she is the happiest, sweetest girl! Just keep swimming… just keep swimming…

Back
Top Bottom