Official BYC Poll: How do you name your pet chickens?

How do you name your pet chickens?

• We don’t name our chickens!

Votes: 33 6.9%
  • We let the kids name them.

Votes: 79 16.5%
  • We give them old-fashioned names (Flora, Prissy, Hazel, etc.).

Votes: 84 17.6%
  • We start their names with the same letter (Bailey, Barb, Beatrice, etc.).

Votes: 13 2.7%
  • We name them by personality (Sassy, Gabby, Bossy, etc.).

Votes: 116 24.3%
  • We name them after food (Peanut, Nugget, etc.).

Votes: 83 17.4%
  • We don’t have a special system.

Votes: 166 34.7%
  • We name them by appearance (Red, Fluffy, Lavender, etc.).

Votes: 153 32.0%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 157 32.8%

• Total voters
Pics
Sometimes by color: buff silkies are Mango, Pumpkin and Apricot. Buff Cochins are Peach, Clementine, Carrot, Cheddar
Some combos of color and food: Chocolate, Brownie
Some just suddenly are perfect for whatever reason: Okra, Goose, Derp

Some groups named for a collection: our Serama hens are all named after desserts;.
onyx, topaz, copper, quartz;.
Ember, Flame, Smoke;
Hera, Hermes, Apollo, Artemis; Storm, Cyclone, Tempest
Sparrow, Dove, Wren

Appearance: Blue, Red, Uno (born with one wing), Cotton, Snow, Angel, Tiny, Smidge, Teach (Edward Teach aka Blackbeard- red EE hen with huge black beard and muffs)

Other groups may start with the same letter. Our Cochins were Ed Eddie, Edward, Esther and Ebony

all different ways

"buttercup" - she is fluffy and white
"fatty" - she is...well... you get the picture...
"rainbow" - she is an easter egger...
"toni" - tony danza(my moms choice) smh
"goldie" - golden buff orpington, also the name of my sister's best friend
"hermione" - my harry potter obsession.
"agnes" - agnes from wanda vision
"ren" - barred rock, named after kylo ren from star wars​

Sometimes by color: buff silkies are Mango, Pumpkin and Apricot. Buff Cochins are Peach, Clementine, Carrot, Cheddar
Some combos of color and food: Chocolate, Brownie
Some just suddenly are perfect for whatever reason: Okra, Goose, Derp

Some groups named for a collection: our Serama hens are all named after desserts;.
onyx, topaz, copper, quartz;.
Ember, Flame, Smoke;
Hera, Hermes, Apollo, Artemis; Storm, Cyclone, Tempest
Sparrow, Dove, Wren

Appearance: Blue, Red, Uno (born with one wing), Cotton, Snow, Angel, Tiny, Smidge, Teach (Edward Teach aka Blackbeard- red EE hen with huge black beard and muffs)

Other groups may start with the same letter. Our Cochins were Ed Eddie, Edward, Esther and Ebony
LOVE all those names!!

We name ours by comparing them to famous people.. dead, alive, movie stars, Rock stars, athletes, chefs... you know..
My favorite Black Silkie rooster name is "Rick James Bit#$"..
Fav Black Silkie hen is "Bye Felecia"..

White silkie roo - "Rick Flair"
White silkie hen - Doris Day

LoL

I tried to do a theme. I didn't really care what theme. I had all 'M' names, or all Jurassic park names, or food names, or LOTR names. Waiting a few weeks to see what I felt like they were.
My current flock ended up with no hard theme, cause I changed my mind after I named a few of them. My favorite thing to do for pets is to name females boy names.
Marlowe
Lorelai - later changed to Moira
Bellamy
David
Mrs. Midge Maisel (goes by Midge)
Satine

So I guess my theme for this group would be pop culture or media. Can you guess what each is from?

My Ex GF named some cats we once had; 7 Toes, and Face (had a cute face). So I've always just let the Animal show me what they should be named. I had Izzy (Pitbull mix) who started life with a different name, and now I have Bina, my Brittany Pointer, who started life named Berkley after "the fishing pole, not the college", is what they told me when I rescued Her.

I honestly love naming chickens. Most of the time, I use words that I like to say so we have 'Zoom' and 'Felony' but sometimes it's not even a word, just a name that we came up with. My oldest named our roo 'Centra'. Chances are the new ones will along the same lines. I'm thinking Cricket for the buff orpington.

Back
Top Bottom