Official BYC Poll: How Long Have You Been Keeping Chickens?

How Long Have You Been Keeping Chickens?

• I haven’t started yet

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Less than a year

Votes: 94 22.5%
  • 1-2 years

Votes: 93 22.2%
  • 3-4 years

Votes: 55 13.2%
  • 5-6 years

Votes: 47 11.2%
  • 7-8 years

Votes: 30 7.2%
  • 9-10 years

Votes: 22 5.3%
  • 11-14 years

Votes: 20 4.8%
  • 15-19 years

Votes: 16 3.8%
  • 20-29 years

Votes: 9 2.2%
  • 30+ years

Votes: 26 6.2%
  • I used to, but dont anymore (please tell us why in a reply below)

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters
I've had chickens about 5 years now. I built the coop to house only 3 or 4 hens. Not allowed to have chickens here. I got three hens from a moving sale. Rhode Island Reds. About a year later, one died, and a few months later another one died. I found another lady who was moving and bought 2 Buff Orpingtons. Same thing with these girls. Now I'm wondering why this happened. Found a guy with chickens for sale, Black Astralorpes . Now on have one of them left. She;s in moult right now so no eggs for awhile. In the market for two more good layers at this time.

I had chickens 30 years ago. Did the incubator, raised the babies, and hatched too many roosters! My children swore they would not eat chicken for dinner unless they saw it come from a grocery store wrapper! I moved a lot over the 30 years and had to give the chickens away when I left my home in San Diego, 1992. But, 6 years ago we finally settled on 5 acres in Florida to be close to our daughter and grandchildren, and the first thing I did was get chickens. We are on our third flock. My poor husband has built 2 coops and a huge pen and we are both having a ball raising 18 chickens again. But, this time no incubators and baby hatching! Too much work and heartache. I get my chicks from Rural King here in central Florida. But, my daughter's office employees sure enjoy the fresh eggs I give them!

Almost 3 yrs, now. I still have about 6 of the original flock, left. I have about 20 or more that were incubator chicks but now around 3 months old. And 2 are 4 1/4 months old and have already started laying. Just waiting to see which of the 20 I want to keep. Most have pretty colors and some are California whites. It's fun having them around, but that feed can get expensive.

I've had birds my whole life. My very 1st chicken fell off of one of those trucks headed for the slaughter house. I kept the white chicken in my garage, I was 8 yrs old & named her Fluff. She was so sweet, put up with me giving her a bath, drying her off, even sitting on my lap to be fussed over and hugged. She was very active and even played roll the ball with me. Her favorite game was find the crickets of course. Unfortunately, a month later, instead of laying eggs, SHE turned out to be a HE & began crowing. In that neighborhood that was a big No No, so we found Mr. Fluff a farm home. Many decades later, I moved to a place with the proper zoning, where I could finally have chickens! I'd wanted chickens for a long, long time, so this was wonderful & very exciting! My dad & I built a coop together & I cherish those memories, because we didn't know at that time it would be the last thing he'd build. Those beloved chickens & my pigeons kept me grounded during a difficult time, during my father's illness. They've given me unconditional love & affection, wanting to sit on my lap or be fussed over & hugged. They've made smile & laugh every single day. During a time of grief & then pandemic, they've been my constant, my best friends. During Covid19 shut down, their eggs became a source of income, allowing me to buy food, who could've thought a fun hobby could sustain us?Pandemic also gave me time to hatch 10 eggs, what precious little fuzz puffs! I love them so much still! I started with 2 Barred Rocks & have had up to 40, a mix of RIR, Wyandottes, Buff Orpingtons, Ameracaunas, Comet & Red Star, White Rock, a few rescued mixes, one sweetheart looks like Buff Delaware. All have names, some were older rescues, they will all live good lives & die of old age. I've only had chickens for about 7 yrs, but I can't imagine my life without them. ❤
Love your pictures what a gorgeous flock! How much fun for you and what precious memories. :love

Right! I havent even been able to go fishing in past 3 yrs. :(
Yep I wrangle our son into helping when we are away. Coop roof is about 5'5" and he's 6'!@#_&+-_#@$&. I know he grumbles every time. One girl pecked a fly on his leg that freaked him out! Did I mention he's 40! :gigI also have a good neighbor that would help but she's tall too!

Well a lifetime ago with 1 st husband had a flock of leghorns 2 little kids a loser husband and too much drama with that marriage. So that flock didn't mean much to me. I did enjoy having them though cause I always dreamed of having more someday. Well 1 year ago I ordered my 5 juvenile hens and my second husband ( a knight I'm shining armor) and I built a little coop in back yard for eggs during covid . ( that seems like a lifetime ago) I love my girls and their personalities. We also spent weeks in prep before building and ordering the breeds of chooks. I only have 5 hens. Good news is it's small enough to keep chicken math at bay which is good every time chick days come around. I do sell some enough to eggs to pay for their feed. And have plenty to bless people with when the chance arises. Long answer to short question :eek:

Back
Top Bottom