Official BYC Poll: How Often Do You Clean Your Coop?

How often do you clean your coop?

• Every day

Votes: 286 15.6%
  • Twice or more per week

Votes: 134 7.3%
  • Once per week

Votes: 390 21.2%
  • Once per month

Votes: 225 12.2%
  • Twice per year

Votes: 237 12.9%
  • Once per year

Votes: 75 4.1%
  • Whenever it needs it

Votes: 464 25.2%
  • Never

Votes: 28 1.5%

• Total voters
Pics
I clean mine once a week, I worry about pests and what not so it makes me feel better! It only takes about 20 min as they free range all day and hop out into the run when they wake up but again its not them its me LOL

I clean out the coop once a year. Whether it needs it or not!
The poop boards are cleaned every morning. The floor of my coop gets very little poop in the bedding as the birds go out to the run as soon as they come off the roost and wait there for me to release them.
When winter really bears down, they will spend more time hunkered down in the bedding of the coop.View attachment 2583454
I'll be doing a cleaning next month. It'll get hit with a spray down of Elector PSP when I've emptied it and before I bed it down.
Wow that is a HUGE coop.

Full coop clean outs: I rake and sweep out bedding, and dump and refresh nest materials, twice a year, April and October. Though I plan on leaving the hemp that's under the roosts for a full year and see how that does. In addition, in October I take in a leaf blower, don as much protective covering as possible, and "dust" out the coop and vents.

I spot clean under roosts each morning, sifting poop out from the hemp to go into compost.
RMT, how has the hemp worked out for you? I have only used hemp so have no other comparison. I love the hemp but it is pricy. What r your thoughts? 🐓❤️

RMT, how has the hemp worked out for you? I have only used hemp so have no other comparison. I love the hemp but it is pricy. What r your thoughts? 🐓❤️
Your not talking to me, i know, but excuse me budding in, i use hemp all the time so i thought id share my thoughts.

For me, its amazing. Theres no dust like straw bedding makes, it doesn’t stick to your socks and stuff (some bedding sticks to EVERYTHING. It gets tracked through the house, its a complete mess!)

Also, very easy to pick up and clean, would recommend hemp bedding!

For me its totally worth the money!

Your not talking to me, i know, but excuse me budding in, i use hemp all the time so i thought id share my thoughts.

For me, its amazing. Theres no dust like straw bedding makes, it doesn’t stick to your socks and stuff (some bedding sticks to EVERYTHING. It gets tracked through the house, its a complete mess!)

Also, very easy to pick up and clean, would recommend hemp bedding!

For me its totally worth the money!
Chicken poppy, hey, thanks for chiming in. My 5 hens with be 2 years this spring and I still have the original hemp in the henhouse and imo its great, but, i have NO comparison. I need to grab a couple more inches worth for before winter and was considering some other less expensive but just as good choices. There is some product that a store called lock stock and crate was telling me about but i forget....some hulls of sort. Maybe soy hulls but i don't remember. I'm going to call them tomorrow and see. I dont know if i want to commit to a new product in the henhouse where they will probably be spending more time due to super cold mornings and then having a less superior product to contend with all winter. I'll probably just get the hemp again. I love the hemp tho. Its always SO dry. I've never seen it clumped or wet or yucky. But, again, no comparison. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom