Official BYC Poll: What Do You Do To Make Your Chicks/Pullets Roost?

What Do You Do To Make Your Chicks/Pullets Roost?

• I let them practice when they are only a few weeks old by putting a perch in their coop

Votes: 123 64.7%
  • I wait until they are POL and put them on a roost every evening

Votes: 16 8.4%
  • I just wait and see

Votes: 79 41.6%
  • My chickens donā€™t roost

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 18 9.5%

• Total voters
5 of 8 were on the roosts last evening.
I put the 3 on the roost.
20210618_202739.jpg
20210618_203055.jpg

Tonight all 8 were on the roosts at sunset. šŸ˜€. GC

When my chicks graduate to the adult coop, they usually start roosting on their own. If I find them not on the roost after dark, then I put them on one.

I didn't know people used practice roosts. There is a board in my brooding pen that wasn't intended as a roost but can be used as one, so occasionally my chicks will start roosting on that before I move them to the adult coop.

Right now I have ten 4-week-old chicks and they're finally realizing they don't quite fit under Mom anymore. Actually the ten are split between three hens, but they still don't fit. Anyway, they haven't shown the slightest interest in roosting or sleeping anywhere besides snuggled into fluffy feathers.

Lots of humans overlook the importance of roosts (aka perches), but chickens don't. The natural way for a chicken to sleep is by sitting on a roost. In the wild, a flock of chickens tries to get as high off the ground as they can at night, most often in the branches of a tree. They do this to help them stay safe from land predators. Some chicks are already roosting at 2 weeks of age so when they head out to the coop, they know exactly what to do! Some may need a bit of coaching. So: What Do You Do To Make Your Chicks/Pullets Roost?

Please place your vote above, and please elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other".

View attachment 2723775

Further Reading:
Here's another interesting discussion around the topic:

Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!
My chickens all roosted naturally. It took several days till they all did but they did it with no ā€œtrainingā€

When my chicks moved to their final brooder (a large dog pen) at around 4weeks old.
They had a separate area for bedding, so they roosted on the side of the bedding-box.
I also put a roosting bar in there too.
But for me, I don't make them roost. They do it naturally.
IMG-20210425-WA0000.jpg

Roosting on the box sides
IMG-20210406-WA0006.jpg

First time on the bar

They are adults (15wks) now and they roost in the coop every night

I put a baby roost in the brooder and they start playing on it at 2 days old. I give them higher roosts as they grow, and eventually they start using them at night as well. Age of roosting at night seems to depend a lot on the breed. In my experience, barnyard mixes roost for the night younger (couple of weeks) especially if raised by a broody who likes heights. My Orpingtons and Barnevelders, on the other hand, donā€™t care much for roosts and heights and donā€™t start roosting at night until 8-10 weeks old. And my broody Barnevelder still slept on the floor with her barnyard mix chicks when they were one month old! Thatā€™s when I rehomed them, and on their first night away from lazy mom they said ā€œwheeeee, a roost!ā€ and went right up. A few days later they were sleeping in the rafters, 7 feet up, while their Orpington sisters of the same age (and without a broody holding them back) were still sleeping on the floorā€¦
Funny, itā€™s my 6 week old Orpington (clear cockerel) that insists on roosting every night (although heā€™s with faverolles so they may not be much better)... once he gathers up all the others into the coop, he jumps up about 2 levels while the other roost on or around a baby roost on the floor - I tried to convince a few to join him but they wanted no part of it and kept hopping down. Heā€™s a week older, though, so Iā€™m hoping theyā€™ll join him soon.

Our Icelandics/cream legbars did it quite young though, and have matured quite quickly to the point that I keep forgetting they are only 8 weeks old! They were on the 4 foot roost early on and have been on the top roost for a few weeks now

I think they only waited for the top roost because they didnā€™t want to stand up to the hens, though - when they first moved into the coop they tried to roost in a tree about 6 feet up a few times, and when there wasnā€™t enough space for all of them, a few flew about 9 feet up. That was a fun night getting them down šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļøšŸ˜‚

The instinct to roost is strong in most chickens. They want to be off the ground. If one or more chickens isn't roosting its usually due to one of three things.

--There is not enough roost space. Particularly true if you have some "roost hogs" who actively try to keep lower/younger chickens off them.

--There is a physical reason why your chicken doesn't want to roost -- too heavy for the height of the roost bars, bumble foot, not feeling well, etc.

--Your hen is broody.

Back
Top Bottom