Official BYC Poll: What Do You Do With Seriously Sick/Injured Chickens?

What Do You Do With Seriously Sick/Injured Chickens?

• Visit a vet

Votes: 47 26.1%
  • Ask on our forum for advice

Votes: 108 60.0%
  • Wait and see

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • Take her/him into the house to quarantine and TLC

Votes: 83 46.1%
  • Give medicines if I think it might help

Votes: 85 47.2%
  • Cull the bird if it looks bad

Votes: 87 48.3%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 7 3.9%

• Total voters
This thread pulls on my heart strings tonight. My RIR (2 years old) developed an abdominal rash over winter and was treated topically, diagnosed as allergies this spring (by a vet), but became more distended in the abdomen these past weeks. I have only had chickens 2 years and was late to pick up the symptoms- ascites (water belly), purplish comb. To make a long story short, I removed fluid from the abdomen that was cloudy and had sediment (I assume infection- maybe egg yolk peritonitis?). I called around to my local vets hoping to get antibiotic- she ate tuna and drank water, she would stand outside, but was certainly unhappy. I could not get an antibiotic prescription without being seen and did not want to stress her on a 45 minute car ride to the vet, knowing I would only prolong the inevitable. This afternoon, I tearfully asked my dad to give her the dignified death she deserved. I did not want her to suffer one more night.
As I searched through threads last night, trying to make my decision, I read that oftentimes, chicken keepers feel more regretful about keeping their chickens alive for too long when they are sick- that they should have ended things sooner. I know my sassy Red is no longer suffering. So I guess I implement a bit of each- I had her to the vet, attempted to treat myself (going as far as having my sister perform the emergent paracentesis) and ultimately culled. In all these decisions, I kept her quality of life as my priority, and I can rest easy knowing that. So appreciative of this group!
I love that you put her feelings and quality of life above your own wants and feelings. It breaks my heart that so many people won’t. You did exactly right by her. Thank you!

I know many may disagree with me but if one of my chickens has a big nasty injury, I will not let it suffer. It amazes me why people keep some of these poor birds alive. They hurt! Sure they can/will heal with time but does their pain come in to consideration? If it’s something small or something I’m not sure about, I go to a forum or chicken page to ask for advice and will treat accordingly. The is no chicken vet near me so that is not an option.
I was also interested when I started to read that chickens will hide their pain for so long. I had taken my chicken to the vet once, 45 minute drive there and back, and felt guilty for putting them through the stress of that. I agree with you 100%- if it’s not something I can manage or research in this group, I will not prolong the suffering.

Back
Top Bottom