Official BYC Poll: What humidity do you use in incubation (first 18 days)?

What humidity do you use in incubation?

• 30-40%

Votes: 29 26.4%
  • 40-50%

Votes: 34 30.9%
  • 50-60%

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 9 8.2%
  • I don't have an incubator

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Whatever humidity my broody wants!

Votes: 16 14.5%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 8 7.3%

• Total voters

BYC Project Manager

BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Feb 22, 2009
Humidity inside the incubator controls the moisture loss inside the egg. Almost every bird egg needs to lose a certain percentage of weight/moisture for the bird to develop properly and hatch. This is accomplished through pores in the eggshell. Humidity affects how quickly this moisture evaporates through those pores.

Humidity too low can cause too much moisture loss, the air cells may get too large, the chick can get crowded, and can have a difficult time hatching. If humidity is too high, and not enough moisture is lost, then the air cells can’t grow enough, and chicks can drown; or chicks can grow too large to be able to maneuver and hatch, or there isn’t enough air in the cell for the chick to use to complete its cycle and emerge.

It’s not really rocket science for incubation purposes, and there is some flexibility, but too much to one extreme will usually cause problems. So this week we would like to know: What humidity do you use in incubation (first 18 days)?

Place your vote above, and please elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other".

Official byc poll (17).png

Further Reading:

The Beginner's Guide to Incubation
Incubation Cheat Sheet
Incubation Humidity

(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)

Last edited:
If I have a volunteer (broody hen), then whatever she deems suitable.
If I am not so lucky as to have a volunteer for the job, then I dry incubate. I do not add water or encourage humidity in any way. The only exception to encouraging humidity is if I am forced to assist a hatching chick, and then I don't add water, instead I opt for a bit of sunflower oil on the exposed membrane of the chick's egg to keep it from dehydrating.
I live in the tropics and have very high humidity every day of the year, both day and night. Our annual average ambient humidity is 76%, with October being the most humid in the lower 80s and March the least humid in the lower 60s. I learned the painful lesson of 'too much humidity' the hard way, with failed hatches of chicks that drowned in their shell.

Back
Top Bottom