Official BYC Poll: What Kind Of Relationship Do Your Dogs & Chickens Have?

What Kind Of Relationship Do Your Dogs & Chickens Have?

• My dog would never hurt the chickens

Votes: 116 35.4%
  • My dog actively protects the chickens from predators

Votes: 73 22.3%
  • My dog is too old to chase chickens

Votes: 17 5.2%
  • I'm not sure whether my dog would hurt the chickens

Votes: 26 7.9%
  • My dog gets excited around chickens, so I don't let him/her near them

Votes: 39 11.9%
  • I'm training my dog to ignore them, but we're not there yet

Votes: 36 11.0%
  • I'm training my dog to protect them, but we're not there yet

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • My dog would harm the chickens if he could

Votes: 58 17.7%
  • I don't have any dogs

Votes: 35 10.7%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 57 17.4%

• Total voters
Pics
And will you train it yourself or hire a trainer, or ...?
I'll probably train it myself, as my mother actually has experience with training working dogs. If I find I'm having trouble though, I'll definitely get a trainer to help. I know proper training is super important for these kinds of dogs, and I want to get it right at a young age.

I'll probably train it myself, as my mother actually has experience with training working dogs. If I find I'm having trouble though, I'll definitely get a trainer to help. I know proper training is super important for these kinds of dogs, and I want to get it right at a young age.
Sounds amazing! Lucky you, should work out great. We'll want pics and progress reports now!

With training, he can. Without, his nature is to eat them. But you can't just train a dog with a strong prey drive to leave chickens alone unless he already respects you as his leader and is already obedient in other things. I was a professional career dog trainer with 200 dogs a week in my classes for years, totaling over 4,000 dogs during my career. My dog will drop into a down from a full run when I raise my arm a football field away--or as far as he can see my raised arm. But you don't have to be a dog trainer--anybody can do it! Just takes time, patience, consistency, and praise!
That sounds amazing! I have a 6 month old German shepherd/border collie cross and she is in a phase of jumping all over everyone and chasing everything. She hunts and kills all kinds of birds and rodents, chases my kittens and gnaws on their fur if caught. I'm sure she would do more if I wasn't telling her to "leave it" whenever I catch her in the act. She will let them go at that point but still chases them. And as for the chickens, she's definitely not trained enough for me to attempt letting her near them without being on leash or a fence between. She would definitely think "snacks"!
I mistakenly thought that just because she grew up from birth to 10 weeks surrounded by chickens, ducks, cats, etc that she would automatically be fine with them the way her mom is. But that was definitely very naive of me. Especially since I started with kittens and chicks and not big chickens/rooster/cats who could teach her a lesson while she was little.

Here she is, clearly wanting to chase and eat some big yummy birds. But eventually realized it was no use, I wasn't having it, so she went to sleep. I hope one day this will be able to happen off leash and she will be their protector!

Attachments

• IMG_20210804_142559.jpg
    IMG_20210804_142559.jpg
    906.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210804_143227.jpg
    IMG_20210804_143227.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
That sounds amazing! I have a 6 month old German shepherd/border collie cross and she is in a phase of jumping all over everyone and chasing everything. She hunts and kills all kinds of birds and rodents, chases my kittens and gnaws on their fur if caught. I'm sure she would do more if I wasn't telling her to "leave it" whenever I catch her in the act. She will let them go at that point but still chases them. And as for the chickens, she's definitely not trained enough for me to attempt letting her near them without being on leash or a fence between. She would definitely think "snacks"!
I mistakenly thought that just because she grew up from birth to 10 weeks surrounded by chickens, ducks, cats, etc that she would automatically be fine with them the way her mom is. But that was definitely very naive of me. Especially since I started with kittens and chicks and not big chickens/rooster/cats who could teach her a lesson while she was little.

Here she is, clearly wanting to chase and eat some big yummy birds. But eventually realized it was no use, I wasn't having it, so she went to sleep. I hope one day this will be able to happen off leash and she will be their protector!
A very pretty girl! Good luck with her!

I put "my dog would never hurt the chickens". Usually she just ignores them, although if they are making a lot of noise she wants to run outside to see what's wrong, which I love, since sometimes there is a cat for her to chase off. The only time she will chase a chicken is if my younger sister is being annoying and chasing the chickens. Plus, if she casually wanders too near, she usually gets a peck. She's a miniature poodle. She loves chasing cats, though if the cats turned around and decided to fight, Coco would run away real fast.

A very pretty girl! Good luck with her!
Thanks! I've questioned my sanity a few times since getting her (picked her up the week we moved to our acreage along with hatching eggs and started this whole crazy thing with little experience and 4 kids to look after to boot! Apparently I'm a glutton for punishment!) But then there are times where I hear the coyotes while I'm out in the garden in the evening and she instantly goes on the alert, doesn't leave the garden gate until I'm heading back to the house and then she sticks by me the whole way. I know it's in her to be a good protector!

She's beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom