Official BYC Poll: What Kind Of Relationship Do Your Dogs & Chickens Have?

What Kind Of Relationship Do Your Dogs & Chickens Have?

• My dog would never hurt the chickens

Votes: 116 35.4%
  • My dog actively protects the chickens from predators

Votes: 73 22.3%
  • My dog is too old to chase chickens

Votes: 17 5.2%
  • I'm not sure whether my dog would hurt the chickens

Votes: 26 7.9%
  • My dog gets excited around chickens, so I don't let him/her near them

Votes: 39 11.9%
  • I'm training my dog to ignore them, but we're not there yet

Votes: 36 11.0%
  • I'm training my dog to protect them, but we're not there yet

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • My dog would harm the chickens if he could

Votes: 58 17.7%
  • I don't have any dogs

Votes: 35 10.7%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 57 17.4%

• Total voters
Pics
We have quite a few dogs (we breed) and they all behave differently. Our bloodhounds will kill almost anything. Our 3 legged pointer Amos doesn't have any desire to chase chickens. My English mastiff (my emotional support dog) will actually let me put chicks on his head... he loves all animals lol. My chickens all run to him and perch on his back when he goes in the backyard with me (which is any time I go back there cause he is very clingy). He is the best dog ever! We also have small dogs that try to go in the backyard with me but my emu and peahen chases them off! 😂 They are the protectors of the flock.

I have 6 Anatolian/ Kangal /Anatolian x Kangal. Two are absolutely safe and will protect them as they free range. Two are almost trustworthy but need supervision so they only guard at night when the chickens are up. And two that were surrendered to me in April and are absolutely not trustworthy. I don’t have the time to work with them and hope they find their permanent homes soon- without poultry.
Then there is my American Bulldog, Tsaheylu. She is what one might call a “babysitter.”

Attachments

• A2D4E420-1DC3-48D5-B1E1-5714F314C0F3.jpeg
    A2D4E420-1DC3-48D5-B1E1-5714F314C0F3.jpeg
    233.5 KB · Views: 9
My dogs have and will kill and eat our chickens. We have a double reinforced gate between the chickens and the dogs. But sometimes the chickens will fly over into the dogs yard. If no one notices before they let the dogs out it gets very chaotic.
I do not trust our dogs around our chickens unless there is a good fence between them.

I need the “ My chickens would hurt my dog if they could” option. 🤣😳

Poor, deluded labrador thinks Sophia, one of our Wyandottes, is “playing” when she pecks him and chases him around the yard. One of these days she is going to peck out his eyeball, I swear! She is not playing, she is filling in the role of a roo. (Roos are forbidden in my ‘hood). I’m glad the dog’s hair and skin (and skull) are thick enough that she can’t really hurt him.

Thousands of people love dogs. Thousands of people love chickens. And, thousands of people wonder how they can make their two loves get along with one another and live together in peace. So in this poll, we would like to find out: What Kind Of Relationship Do Your Dogs & Chickens Have?

Please place your vote above, and elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other".

View attachment 2802503

Further Reading:
(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)

Attachments

• 9D287E8B-9433-467D-B860-01ABCF4E60A5.jpeg
    9D287E8B-9433-467D-B860-01ABCF4E60A5.jpeg
    528.8 KB · Views: 9
2 Siberian Huskies here, so fencing and not having the Crevecoeurs out when the Huskies are in the yard is important. The up side of the Huskies is they are pretty effective at keeping large predators out of our/their "well-marked" territory, and their 6-foot commercial-grade aluminum fence with a concrete footer we built for them makes it tough for large predators to enter that portion of our acreage, where our chicken coop/run and free range area are also located.

B8E784D9-0978-4022-B9D5-FDC1B9859813.jpeg

My dog loves when I say it's time to feed the chickens. She loves to go into the coop to sniff each and every one while I change the water, fill the feeder, and collect eggs. However, I took her to my neighbor's place and she immediately started to chase those chickens. She is only nice to her own chickens. Tee, my dog is a 12 pound Bichon Frise/Yorkshire Terrier cross.

Back
Top Bottom