Official BYC Poll: When You Travel, Who Looks After Your Chickens?

When You Travel, Who Looks After Your Chickens?

• I don't have chickens yet.

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • I don't travel! I don't want to leave my girls with anyone.

Votes: 26 14.2%
  • I have someone care for them in exchange for the free eggs!

Votes: 59 32.2%
  • I have someone care for them, but I pay them as well as give them the eggs!

Votes: 52 28.4%
  • I have someone care for them, but I don't let them take my eggs.

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • I haven't needed to travel yet.

Votes: 31 16.9%

• Total voters
I have two people that watch my girls and dogs - my neighbor and my daughter. Both already get free eggs and I watch their dogs when needed. For the chickens, I have it down to where they only have to collect eggs (as long as it’s above freezing and it’s just for a couple days) and look in to make sure that is everything is good with the girls and their food & water.

In reality, we don’t travel like we used to as flying has become more of a hassle. We mainly do long weekends where we drive so it works out well.

I avoid traveling, but we have 3 family members living here now, and when we do travel, we don’t all go together. There are other animals and things to take care of besides chickens, We do have a neighbor we can call in a pinch.

I had my neighbor help when i didnt have a automatic door or a self waterer. I have a 8ft x 6 in pipe that i fill with water and 1 inch pipes for the actaul chicken drinking cups. Then i have a little giant feeder that i fill up, now. So now i can leave them for a week without anyone being there. But i still have my neighbor check on them.

I've only had to go away twice in the last six years. But when I did have to go away, I got someone to watch them that had chickens too, so I knew that my chickens would be well cared for.

I paid a coworker to come care for our chickens twice a day for about ten days last summer. It was a forty minute round trip drive for her, so tried to pay for her time and gas. I think she took eggs to share with family, and her younger sister helped too. Great way to teach people to love chickens!
Recent trip occurred during that Midwest snow storm a few weeks ago so my mother-in-law (who lives closer) watched them. She told me later, “ I talked to those chickens more than anyone else that two weeks!” We have a covered run that they choose to stay in when it snows, so they didn’t wander too much. Worked out well, but you don’t realize how much of your day is chickens until you have someone else do it!

Back
Top Bottom