Official BYC Poll: Why Do You Have Chickens?

Why do you raise chickens?

• Pets

Votes: 808 77.4%
  • Eggs

Votes: 926 88.7%
  • Meat

Votes: 205 19.6%
  • Fertilizer

Votes: 315 30.2%
  • Pest Control

Votes: 293 28.1%
  • Exhibition

Votes: 79 7.6%
  • For Resale

Votes: 98 9.4%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 109 10.4%

• Total voters
What you aren't waitlisted for more yet? Get a move on!

Also I do not know my actual chicken count but I think conventional chicken math says I have 5. I'm impressed you have 18!
I’m not real sure about conventional chicken math 😂 but I have 6 hens and I have 8 more babies coming June 29!

You and me Cluck.. Showed dogs for 35 years ... Enough nonesense :lau
I don’t think I could breed purebreds. I’m fascinated with doing crosses.

Here’s a cross I just did. Polish Deathlayer 😍

AFA00E6E-B2B5-4D56-8636-A2FCA07A1D2B.jpeg

I checked everything except pest control...but they do love the mice pinkies in the barn.

Other because I enjoy conserving a dual purpose Heritage breed. Mine are Columbian Wyandotte. Meat and eggs from these are wonderful and the hens lay thru the winter supplying my extended family with plenty.
Two point of lay pullets and one of three breed pens.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Fertilizer for my fenced garden..no birds allowed inside. Composted clean outs from the hen house and brooder room as well as the cattle manure and hay makes a wonderful mulch for the raised vegetable beds and flower beds.

Exhibition...on the list because showing was to begin this year, but shows were canceled due to Covid 19. Maybe later.

Resale... Not to supplement an income, but to expand the number of people who enjoy the Columbian Wyandotte. Selling hatching eggs and day old chicks gives buyers a good start.

I have hatched over 400 chicks so far this year. Strictly selecting chicks for future breeders as the chicks grow out means those not selected will go into neighbors' layer flocks or freezer.

Last edited:
Pets, eggs, and sustainability.
We all know that this year has been rough. And my family? My family is always paranoid. Politics are a big reason, but I won't get into that. That's my dad's thing.

We decided to get chickens because we think supply chains are going to be severely damaged thanks to covid.
Which is already sort of true? Meat prices are going up. But our family needs protein if all goes down. And what's a great mobile source of protien?
(I know you're going to say a cow or a goat, but our backyard isn't that big, and I don't think our city would be very happy with us having a cow)
Eggs!
Most of our reason for getting chickens is a mobile self-sustainable food source. 5 chickens should supply enough eggs to feed our whole family at their peak years.
If we really end up needing to? We can put our chickens into the back of our car and hit the road with them. And they're perfectly capable animals- if everything goes poorly, they can eat grass and bugs and worms instead of feed in the absolute worst of situations.

I know when people think of an apocalypse, they think of zombies and guns.
My family thinks of chickens and mountains and farming.

Whatever happens, I'm happy we have them. They make us happy.

My adventure started with a friend ordering chicks and asked if I wanted to get some also. I figured.....what the heck I’ll give them a try, that was the beginning of my serious case of Morehens disease 😁. I just love beautiful my beautiful birds. They are my therapy when I’ve had a rotten day at work. I talk to the girls and they talk back with their own little clucks and coos and other funny little noises they make. I replenish my flock by hatching my girls eggs. They provide roosters for the freezer in the fall and new layers. I sell eggs to help pay for their feed.

Eggs, fertiliser, what-names-to-give-them (when the kids were little forty years ago), entertainment, what-will-i- find-hidden-in-the-ivy? occasional poetry inspiration (see below - sorry i tried to put the file as an attachment but i couldn't).

The Morning after the Death

Virginia Lowe

As I feed

The two remaining chooks

Heavy cloud

Covers half the sky

Beneath it the sun rises

Painting the underneath cloud

Bright yellow grey

She was faithful

In her way

Laid day by day