Oh, help! Help!

Sylviaanne

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 17, 2012
Ozark, MO
I go in every night to check on my babies before I go to bed but tonight I found 3 of them dead. Their brooder was not cold, they had food and water.

I grabbed the poly vi sol and started dosing the other babies. I'm pretty sure 2 more of them are going to die before morning. I have been putting AVC in their water, maybe not as much as I should. I took them out and cleaned out their brooder, put antibiotics in their food, checked their bottoms for pasty butt and noticed that they all felt skinny. I have not been handling them very much, they are very skittish so I pretty much leave them alone except to feed, water and clean their brooder. I have been refilling their food 2x a day because they have started to become wasteful and the feeder kept being empty. I thought that some of the food must be getting eaten but now I don't know. Their crops are empty.

What can I do now?

So sorry to hear about your chicks. I always find it very suspicious when you have young birds that seem active and bright, but are thin and that do not want to eat the food in front of them. I would be suspicious of the food first of all, and try to get something different to feed them. It's uncommon, but feed can become moldy or contaminated and it can be difficult to tell by looking at it. As long as your chicks are being fed a good quality chick starter they do not have to have vitamins or any other additives, they should do fine on just the chicken feed.

Also, have you check the temperature in their brooder with a thermometer?

what kinda-------" antibiotics in their food" -----what are you feeding? how many chicks? they are chicken chicks ?

Back
Top Bottom