Oh I have wanted this and know it is a pain in my behind!

AnniesEggFarm

Songster
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
I set out this year to get some broody hens, so far I have one black silkie. She is probably 6ish months old and TINY. She is a VERY determined broody hen as long as she is in the regular hen house in the main laying box (the hens fave), won't eat, drink move
th.gif
collects every egg that my very large brood of hens lay.... Yippie just want I wanted.... But she is so tiny and determined that the large hens will literally sit on her to lay eggs, she has become just another part of the laying box
hit.gif
.... So I VERY CAREFULLY moved her to her own private suite, box and all this past Friday. She jumped up right away pooped A TON
sickbyc.gif
and ate like a pig and walked around, ok fine whatever, she felt safe without the big girls around.... next morning she had kicked out all but 2 of her eggs, we put them back under her multiple times, nothing
th.gif
, I gave up and cracked them open, every one of them viable
th.gif
.... So she continued to very poorly set on her last two eggs, but most of the time she was hopping around her suite partying it up
celebrate.gif
!!!!
th.gif
th.gif
th.gif
!!! So, I kicked her butt out back with the rest of the flock -> -> -> -> -> within a few hours she was back in the main henhouse gathering every egg in sight, sitting like a champ while my large ladies laid eggs on top of her!!!
What am I going to do....
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
..... I want her to be broody, but don't feel that this is a very healthy way to be broody....

Jenn

You could put a wire door across her nest box that she usually uses and just cut a small hole big enough for only her to go in and out so the big hens can't go in there and set on her.

Back
Top Bottom