Oh no, a bully! Or bullies.....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Gingersnap722, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Gingersnap722

Gingersnap722 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    FL
    Darn it, I was just reading about bully chickens day before yesterday and then yesterday found out we have one! I have five little chicks who have been beaten up! So we took them out, put medicine on them and are keeping them separate. I had to leave early this morning and didn't get back until this afternoon, so my friend next door came over to try and figure out who the bully is. Of course nothing happened while she was here. She came back a couple of hours later and we had a couple more that were beaten up. It's not easy trying to figure out who the bully is, but we think we have it narrowed down to one, if not more of the Columbian Wyandottes. Grrrrr!!!!! I was hoping I would never run into this issue.

[​IMG]

2. mrchicks

mrchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    You just never know when it will happen. We hatched polish and silkies together, and the hens have been together ever since hatching. The last two days the smallest silkie has been terrorizing two of the polish. She's been so bad that she's isolated right now while we decide what to do with the little terror. As they are close to a year old, this took me completely by surprise.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Are your birds all the same age or are the chicks in with older birds? How many are there and how much space do you have them in?

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Most times with chicks (and grown birds, for that matter) pecking is a space issue. How many chicks and how much space? It's good to start with almost a square foot of space each when they're littles, and double that around 4ish weeks old.

5. mrchicks

mrchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Ours have over 5sq ft per bird inside, and 10 sq ft per bird outside in that coop. Sadly, for us it's just a wicked bird.

6. Theweddlefarm

Theweddlefarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2014
    This sounds crazy, but I have a "time out" pen for anyone who wants to be a bulky. Establishing a pecking order is natural, but I can't stand to let it go too far. For example, one of my Cochins was being over the top for a long period of time, a very experienced breeder I know told me o put him in a pen by himself, but where he could see his old buddies for about a week. I did, and it worked perfect!

7. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

I was also instructed to remove and segregate the bulk from the flock. She screamed her head off for about ten minutes once she realized she was alone (she could hear the other chicks peeping back to her) and all seems fine now. We'll see how it goes tomorrow. Last night while I was sleeping, she broke one of mg cockerel's tail blood feathers, so I had to pull it out and swab it with iodine. It's also not a space thing, and she only does it to the cockerel (he's the biggest of the group).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by