1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Oh No, Chicks hatched and died.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pgpoultry, May 12, 2010.

1. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Songster

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I don't know what went wrong. Two hens broody, 8 eggs under each one, both ejected two at a fairly early stage. Yesterday one hen hatched three eggs, the other hatched one, loud cheeping heard. Later in the evening ominous silence, so I did what I wouldn't normally do, raised the hens. Oh no, two out of three dead under first hen. Chicks fully out of shells but not fluffed up and second hen with half hatched chick dead in the shell (Broodies in separate houses)[​IMG] What happened? Not had this awful experience before.
    Anybody any ideas?
    The remaining chick is nicely fluffed and installed under mum's wing.
    Sandie

2. greenpeeps

greenpeeps Songster

Apr 15, 2009
    Greenford, Ohio
    Oh, I'm so sorry. I wish I could help

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Sounds like new unexperienced mommas.

Perhaps you could buy them some chicks at the feed store to raise?

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Songster

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Thank you, It just seems horrid when the little chicks have fought their way out of the shell.

They are definitely inexperienced. Two Brahma hens who came into lay, laid about 10 eggs each and then both went exceedingly broody. Initially I kept them away from their favoured brooding sites etc. and they rejoined the flock, only to go broody again within a few days. I gave them eggs which had embryo development from the incubator at day 11, with one being so broody I have had to lift her from the eggs daily as she went 5 days without water or food until I did so.

I saw a live chick under one of the hens this morning (the one who had two dead chicks). This hen has since tossed out a broken egg with a chick that had obviously died in the shell some days ago, putrid and with large yolk sac, along with some shells from the hatched chicks. I hope this 'nest spring cleaning' means that she is sorting herself out.

I am keeping my fingers very much crossed,

Thanks for the kind words,
    Sandie

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Songster

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Well, All's well that ends well:D

The rookies have rallied and now have 3 live chicks under each of them. Though we are not out of the woods yet they seem to have the hang of what they need to do and seem SO proud of themselves (I am proud of them too as I didn't expect anything positive from their efforts)[​IMG]

sandie

6. georgialee

georgialee Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm glad they started figuring things out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by