Oh no. I have a predator problem!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by LinckHillPoultry, Aug 11, 2008.

1. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Exactly what I was hoping not to have!

I don't know if you all heard about my missing blue slate hen, but yes, awhile back in late spring she went to nest on a batch of eggs and never came back, well yesterday I went down towards the woods to bury a couple birds that died, and I found some of my blue slates remains. A bunch of its feathers and its skull. [​IMG]

Well about a week ago my crested swedish duck went missing. Now, every night I lock my birds up in the barn... but there is a group of ducks (was) that were escape artists, they had a little hole they climbed through to get out of the stall. Anyways, he went missing and I was walking through the woods the other day to see what I could find and I found a bunch of his flesh with his feathers still attached. Also, next to the flesh I found a talon, like an owls talon.

Yesterday my crested rouen female was nowhere to be found. I'm assuming she's gone too.

Also, where I bury my birds I have noticed something has been digging them up and dragging them off!

I am assuming the predator is a fox, because the talon I found appears to be a bit old, and there are a bunch of fox holes in the woods where I've found some of my birds remains.

What are your opinions and how do I catch this sneaky bugger?

2. lost

lost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2008
    ,nc
    Well i would get a trap and see what happens. I have dog problems and I use a baby monitor to hear whats going on it has help alot. Good luck losing birds are anything sucks. Sorry for your lose

3. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    hope u figure oput what it or they are and take car of it keep us posted and goood luck

4. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Call your conservation department and ask them what they think. I know out here, they will even provide traps and pick-up for whatever animal is messing with the birds.

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Fox.

6. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    LynneP, you're absolutely correct. Thank you everyone for your suggestions and opinions, but I have concluded that it is a fox causing all the mayhem. Found feathers, set a trap... it went in the trap but didn't set it off. Errrr.

7. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Forget the trap then, it will never again go in one. Those critters are smart.

8. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    As for fox, usually a urine lure is used, but that's for leg-catch setups. For a cage trap you might want to try a combination setup with some fox urine nearby the trap, and then maybe try baiting the trap with heart, liver, or both. It might even be better bait to use a cut-open squirrel or something, but check the laws in your area to see if that's legal. Also, make sure that you don't touch or even breathe too heavily on your fox bait, depending on the area, that may make them avoid your setup entirely.

http://www.rpoutdoors.com/vic112sofcat.html

http://www.rpoutdoors.com/rpurine.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by