Oh no, is it over?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by linda2012, Apr 8, 2012.

1. linda2012

linda2012 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2012
    I'm so upset, I came home after being gone for a few hours and 2 of my fertile eggs that are or were probably going to hatch in a weeks time, must have rolled out of the nesting box. I don't know how long they were out. Are they now a done deal? I know for a fact that these were fertile after doing my candling on them early in the week. Please tell me that they are o.k?

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    They might be OK. Something to consider - it's possible that the eggs had quit and the hen may have pushed them out herself. Try candling them to see if there is any movement.

3. I dont think the hen could tell if it is fertile are not

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I can't tell you they're okay, but I would mark them and put them back under her and see how they turn out.

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Were they cold to the touch? Cause if so, probably not a good sign.

While a chicken cannot determine if they are fertile or not, she could detect a smell or some other indication of no life. Or for reasons of her own, not want these eggs. How many eggs do you have under her?

I would mark them, but if they are cold, and you have other eggs under her, I think I might just remove these two. No use upsetting the hen, However if they were the only ones, then I would mark and see if she will take them again.

If there were still warm, they should have a fair chance.

mk

6. linda2012

linda2012 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2012
    [​IMG]I found a dead baby chick this morning laying outside the nesting box. So I guess not all of them were ruined, but poor thing didn't make it. It makes me so sad that after all this time of stressing & worrying probably the only chick that hatched is gone...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by