oh no... is this a 5-week old SLW roo?

duckyes

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2024
i got this SLW as a "pullet" from a hatchery, raised from day old chick to 5 weeks old today. i had always wanted a SLW but can only keep hens. this is the only SLW in the flock.

her comb area is redder than every other chick in the flock, but not quite bright red. and her wattles are pink, though im not sure if they are too big for her age. she is quite "meaty", dense and heavy. she also feathered quite a few days slower than her flock mates (RIRs, BOs, BAs).

what do you think? i feel like i keep having bad luck, this hatchery is supposed to guarantee 90% accurate sexing and so far 3 out of a flock of 6 are roo suspects....it would be such a shame because she's beautiful.
1000039765.jpg
1000039768.jpg
1000039771.jpg

all above photos are taken at 5 weeks. the one below is at 4 weeks:
1000039777.jpg

Last edited:
this hatchery is supposed to guarantee 90% accurate sexing
90% is HIGH average correctness. Some claim 83% to 80%
You may be ending up with the 10% incorrect ones with your purchases. :idunno

You say you cant have roosters,,, and I cant have them ether where I live. The way I solved that,,,, I purchased Started/grown chickens,,, or sex-linked ones.
I know it is a challenge to rehome roosters. Many end up as soup birds. I am OK with that. Rooster grows, and enjoys a good life with just one bad moment. A possibly needy family gains food/nutrition.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

I'd guess Cockerel, but SLW are tough to guess early on, they mature quick, but I think I'm seeing pointed feathers coming in, but the pattern is equal which normally infers female, so I'm only 51/49 Cockerel right now, at 9-10 weeks you'll know for certain.
could you kindly elaborate on the pointed feather part? i am fairly new to this and can learn some tips on how to spot early signs of a roo

The pointed hackle and saddle feathers on a male usually don't begin to show until 10-14 weeks.
1000039845.jpg
1000039846.jpg
1000039847.jpg

here are some more pics taken with flash from this morning when she sat on me. i am worried about the pink/red shown in the wattle... but you are right he/she has most of their back feathers already at 5 weeks

i am worried about the pink/red shown in the wattle
Yep, that's a pretty strong sign that it's a male. but only time will tell for sure.

but you are right he/she has most of their back feathers already at 5 weeks
That's just the first set of feathers.
They will go thru 2-3 'molts' before about 6 months old.

Back
Top Bottom