Oh no.... she died :'( It's all my fault :'(

S*T*A*R

Songster
9 Years
Oct 3, 2010
A couple of days ago my BO was found lying outside, way past what time she usually goes in. So my dad picked her up and put her in the coop. He found her in the same spot in the morning. We took her out and put her in the garage in a box. She had the runs, and she still wasn't walking around or eating. This morning we found her.... dead. It's my fault I didn't find out what was wrong with her
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
I'm so stupid....
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

Last edited:
I'm guessing that she had serious reproductive tract problems, and there is probably little that you could have done for her. Don't beat yourself up. Sadly enough if you keep chickens long enough, some will die and some will be killed by predators.
hugs.gif

Quote:
Do you think she could have been eggbound? And if so can you explain what eggbound is and what you can do for it?

I just had one that had the runs too. I noticed it on Sat night and brought her in the house Sun Morning where it was warm and had read about egg bound chickens so I started giving her warm baths to try to help her lay her egg. Alas after three days I gave up. The egg that was stuck she never would have laid. It was half the size of a dollar bill and weighed 5 ozs. I posted pictures in the egg laying section. But the whole time I watched her she kept trying to lay the egg.

hugs.gif
there is prolly nothing you could have done anyways. I had an older redstar hen who was very lifeless when I found her one night and the next day she was also dead. I think she was egg bound as she was healthy as far as I could tell. How old was your girl? They have a better chance of becoming egg bound as they age. Just part of raising chickens, they all die some day.

I'm so sorry she died
sad.png

While not always the case, there is often something that can be done to help an ailing bird, so long as action is taken soon enough.
In the future, as soon as you notice something isn't right, take action to ascertain why. You're not stupid, you just didn't know how crucial to act sooner. Nor apparently did your dad know. Now you know.
JJ

i'm really, really sorry she died, i lost a hen a couple days ago, too
hugs.gif
it's probably not your fault, either. at least you noticed something was wrong in the first place! a few years ago i noticed my pullet, bumble, lying under the pophole door when i was closing them up for the night, not really moving too much. i just tossed her in the coop, and that was the very last time i saw her alive. she died that night. i still want to hit myself for not realizing something was wrong, so in a way you're really better off than i was. you noticed she was sick and moved her to a quiet place. again, i am so, so sorry she passed away, but please remember it's NOT YOUR FAULT
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom