Oh no..

mandomama

Songster
11 Years
Mar 18, 2008
corvallis oregon
Well one of the new chicks we got started trying to pickout all the other chicks eyes. It seemed obsessed. We seperated it, changed the light..nothing worked. Still picking everyones eyes. I new I needed to cull it. And wanted to do it myself. They are my chickens. We didnt have any ether, so since it was small, I thought I could do the pull and twist..It didn't work. OH God...I felt soooooo bad. My DH dispatched it with the hatchet. I feel sooo bad.
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

Oh dear **hugs** at least it was culled. At least you tried to do it yourself and that is not an easy thing to do, especially the first time.

I'm sorry. I know you must feel dreadful. But please accept it as a hard lesson learned. If you decide it's something you have to do yourself, you will find a way that works for you.

I know that many of us have had times taking care of our animals that something we did didn't go the way we meant it to and one of them got hurt. You will learn from your mistake and it will make you a better caretaker for all of them.

hugs to you.
Cassandra

:aww

I hope I don't have to cull a chick ever.. but I agree with you, if it has to be done, then I would be the one to do it for my own chicks.
Sorry you had such a rough time of it..

Sorry for the hard time. Take this as a learning experience. I think it's great that you wanted to do it yourself. Everyone has to start from somewhere.

Thanks for all your kind words. I stoped crying, (yes Im a girl), and I know I did the right thing. This chick just didnt pick now and then it actually got one chick down on the ground and I was afraid it was going to kill it! We put it with another chick, that was larger, and it went right for its eyes. It seemed to be stalking the other chicks so it could go for their eyes. When it drew blood, I knew it had to go.

Next time I will be prepared. DH didnt like beheading it, but we had no choice. I am going to get some starter fluid soon, just to be on hand.

I gotta say, the brooder is very peaceful tonight.

Back
Top Bottom