Oh, the horror!!!--UPDATE, I think they're gonna be ok

hugs.gif
Go onto the marans thread and see who is near you with marans chicks.... I know lots of ppl in Cali have em.... It is just a matter of finding already hatchies...I am sure the marans crew will be nice to you... We are pretty good folks once you get past our retentiveness... LOL Sorry about your loss... I would ship pity eggs but it would do no good w/o a bator... Again so sorry
hugs.gif

I am up in Yuba City and am willing to lend you my LG still air for your hatch if you would like to borrow it. I know people don't like the LG's very much but it works well for me. I am hatching chicks daily with it now but can switch some eggs over to another incubator I use at school if you would like to borrow it for your hatch. I would think that your eggs are still good. My hens are so fickle when they go broody they sit on eggs, then switch for a day, then go back and their eggs still hatch!
thumbsup.gif

Heidi

Mom to 4 kids, 3 dogs, 2 cats, and at last count…1 silkie, 2 sizzles, 1 cochin, 1 serama, 1 serama x silkie cross and 6 chickies of questionable parentage!
smile.png

Quote:
Thank you, that's very sweet, but I am not looking for marans chicks. I was hatching these out to sell the chicks locally, make a little pocket change (ain't gonna get rich off this, but could help offset the cost of chickeneering if I can sell some chicks). The only ones I'm keeping from this group are a couple of d'uccles and the barnies... everybody else was going to be sold.

Thank God it's time for work... get my mind off my eggs...

Don't give up on them. I had a full bator with a staggered hatch ad 3 bouts of coolong to 70degrees. the eggs that were the furest along didn' do well, but the eggs that were only in for a few days are hatching now 7 out of 8 so far! Check out the Will they Hatch thread. Lots of folks have had problems and thing do work out.

hugs.gif

Im pretty sure they will make it. Ive heard of worse circumstances and chicks made it. You can always throw together a homemade styrofoam cooler or ice chest cooler. You could cut up your summer ice chest, cut a window,put glass from an old frame, cut a hole on top for a 60 watt light bulb(on an old lamp cord),get a lamp dimmer cord from home depot for 9 dollars(so you can make the bulb brighter/dimmer to regulate temps,Put a bowl of water for humidity,and done.You dont necessarily need one,but mine also has a 12 dollar computer fan from radio shack, that I spliced into to an old cord so I could plug it into the wall. And BAM! Incubator. Mine works kick-ass!.It will take a couple days to build and regulate temps,but they work great!
My Cooler Bator
26245_cooler_bator_008.jpg

The inside
26245_cooler_bator_006.jpg

The top,cut a hole in it for the lamp cord/bulb
26245_cooler_bator_004.jpg

The rear, the fan cord...
26245_cooler_bator_005.jpg

The lamp dimmer switch, the lamp cord plugs into it, then the dimmer plugs into the wall.
26245_cooler_bator_007.jpg

I also have a styrofoam bator with just a 25 watt bulb,smaller but works great also!
26245_new_camera_012.jpg

P.S. My turners are made of foam egg cartons with skate board wheels on each end. I have great hatch rates! Good luck!

I agree.....maybe you can throw a homemade together. I made a homemade bator form a 10 gallon fishtank... I have 6 runner eggs in it right now hatching... I get pics up in a few.... Good luck
hugs.gif

ETA: Pictures.... I use a Brinsea 20 to incubate & then use the fishtank hatcher so the whole family can gather around and watch, plus we always have staggered hatches. Works great. Old light and a fan from Walmart $3.97. Can't beat that.

72330_hm.jpg

Pips & Zips

72330_007.jpg

Last edited:
Farmer Lew is out in the garage now, seeing what we can scrounge together. I am sure we can come up with something by this evening.

In the meantime, we saved 6 d'uccle eggs and 4 mystery eggs by putting them under the broody. The 8 BCMs, 5 barnies, and 3 of the 9 olive eggers are in the turner of the Reptipro, and I suspect they'll be ok there. We added a second shelf to the reptipro, but only banty eggs fit so we put 5 silkie eggs, 1 bantam EE, and 3 "sebright surprise" eggs on that shelf.

On the bottom, where the temps aren't getting above 90 degrees, I have 2 more silkie eggs and another bantam EE that would not fit on the 2nd shelf, 6 olive eggers, and 3 EEs, so I have to find a place for 10 more eggs.

Thanks for the pics everyone. We were inspired! After much scrounging, we found everything here except the chest, but a friend has something that might work. Going over there tonight after work. Will have a homemade bator before bed tonight. I will be sure to take pics, too, for sharing with all of you!

Edited for spelling (sticky "I" key!)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom