Oh what to get oh what to get..

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by CochinBrahmaLover, Mar 26, 2012.

1. So we're going to special order some turkeys, not sure on the breeds tho, I dont know too many but heres what I came up with

Midget whites (for sure gonna get them, had them before and SO SWEET)

Royal palm (beautiful, yet how friendly are heritage turkeys?

Narragansett

Bourben red

any suggestions? We've mostly dealt with meat turkeys so not sure what to expect with a heristage breed, we also want a breed that tho may be a little pricey might be popular or something cause we're prolly gonna breed them and sell their chicks

Thanks y'all for the help!

2. Louise's Country Closet

Louise's Country Closet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    My vote is for the Bourbon Reds. We have 5 of them and they are so FRIENDLY! I call them my big dog-birds, because they act so much like dogs.. and my males get HUGE so they'd be great for a meat bird.

3. abobwhat

abobwhat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    SoCal
    Is one breed more or less noisy than another?

4. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    For friendly turkeys, I would go with Bourbon Reds or Narragansetts. Royal Palms seem a little more standoffish than thos two. Midget whites have been the least friendly of the heritage breeds at our place (but still much more friendly than any chicken!!). I think they are all friendly if you spend enough time with them.

And they are all noisy.

If you want to sell poults, Royal Palms always seem to be in demand. Bourbon Reds too. Lots of people have never heard of Narragansetts.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Bourbon Reds are VERY friendly in my opinion.

6. So far we ARE getting bourbon reds (from what we've heard from y'all)

Our midget whites would chase after me, well not like chase but if I ran the would run with me [​IMG] I was their mama

I always thought royal palms might be standoffish (i dunno why) but yes we want to sell poults and meat adults, so bourbon reds so far are PERFECT (LOL) and so are midgets, still debating wether narragansetts or royal palms, yet so far im leaning to royal palm

Any other breeds you recommend?

7. I know this is a weird question since turkeys arent really laying birds but

Out of these (or any breeds you reccomend) whos the best layer? We donate eggs and eat some ourself, so eggs would be a good bonus [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by