oh wow, I didn't realize...Bean recipe Anyone?!

McCord6

Away
10 Years
Sep 9, 2009
Lake Butler (Union County)
I was doing alot of DEEP cleaning in the kitchen today and didn't realize that I had ALOT of bags of dry BEANS!
Im NOT much of a cook at all and know next to NOTHING about cooking dry beans. I get them through WIC.

I got SIX 1lb bags of Great Northern Beans
FOUR bags of Black Eye Peas
and ONE bag of Baby Lima Beans

Anyone got a simple recipe that I can use to cook these.
Please not BEANS AND RICE, I know how to make that.
I want something different.

I'm glad you posted. I just got out a bag of Calico Butter beans that I'm soaking tonight. But I have no idea what I'm going to do with them tomorrow. S&P and butter, I guess? I'm roasting our processed chicken in a clay dish and have the beans on the side. I hope someone will have some delish ideas.

I almost went with the beans and guinea yesterday but chose the garden spuds and guinea instead in the pot for tomorrows meal. Although simmered guinea and beans sure sound good right now.

Northern beans and ham make a great soup.

Curry!
Soak them overnight. Cook them in a slow cooker til nearly cooked, then add a coconut-milk based curry.

I soaked my calico butter beans last night and getting ready to cook them. I want them as a side dish. Any other suggestions out there?

There's already another thread about beans, check it out.
tongue.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=251350&p=1

Look here for a whole discussion and pictures about dealing with beans. Nothing has to be exact, just add whatever you have that sounds reasonable. She used bacon, which is great but you could put some ham rind or a chunk of leftover ham, a ham bone, If you add chicken, don't do it too early esp if it's already cooked leftovers. Just add that sort of thing in time to heat it up before serving. Same thing with any leftover. The beans themselves are a meal though, mostly the bacon is for a bit of flavor, the beans have a ton of healthy protein. Now that winter is on it's way, a once a week bean dinner is sounding good.

http://suzannemcminn.com/blog/2009/10/02/a-pot-of-beans/

SOUP! Toss the beans into a pot of chicken broth. I simmer the beans with onion, celery, carrot, left over chopped pork, or even kielbasa. I also like to add Goya seasonings. Chopped tomato works really well with it, too.

Back
Top Bottom