Ohh questions!!! Help needed! Chicks moving & switching from incubator to broody hen.

Knohl

Hatching
Sep 2, 2020
I am wondering when you typically see chicks start to move within the egg. And I am also wondering if it is safe to move a healthy moving check under a broody hen after it has been in the incubator. As I have one current

also, I started incubating chicks at different times removing them from the coop rather than storing them at a cool temperature and starting all at the same time. My broody hen is laying on eggs from multiple chickens which has made it very difficult to determine timeframe for days to hatch. I have started marking the eggs by date, however The ones already in the incubator we’re abandoned by A different hen, but caught quickly enough that I was able to move them and continue to see growth, given the unsure timeframe until lockdown for each egg from many different chickens.

This being said I have a lot of chicks at different stages. And have lost track of where they are in their development. Is there an easy way to know when they should be moved to an alternate Incubator after day 18 without knowing exactly when day 18 is.

With what I’ve learned moving forward I will be starting chicks at the same time, marking them tracking weights, and candling as recommended. But at this time, I am unsure how to know when to move over my chicks to lock down on day 18.

In addition, I have noticed these issues with my eggs wondering which ones are viable.
-A chick that is developing in a fairly large egg, with an air sac that moves freely on one side of the egg, is this chick going to hatch?
-I have read on here that if the veins within the egg dissipate, it is likely that the chick is no longer alive, is this always true?
-I have fun photos of the progression of a baby chick by candling, so many of them are very different, is it possible for the egg to not be completely opaque yet ready for lockdown? If anyone has an exceptional reference for candling photos I would greatly appreciate it.

being a first time incubator individual, and my kids loving to watch baby chicks I’m hopeful they will be able to see them PIP, thank you for any insight.

if there is substantial movement and development noted, is it presumable that the chick is at least 14 days if not further?

I would look at those candling pics and see what you think the development stage is. Opening the incubator during lockdown won't hurt a thing. The goal is to slow the air cell shrinkage and make sure there is enough humidity to prevent shrink wrapping. With a few quick open/closes on lockdown you shouldn't have that much impact on the humidity.

Lots of folks do a dry hatch. I know a gal that set eggs out to cool because she thought they weren't going to hatch and one did anyway and our climate is extremely dry.

I made a thread with two hatches worth of candling pics: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bunch-of-candling-development-pics.1386101/

In short, the milestones I found(that I didn't see covered elsewhere):
Day three: for about 24hr, you can see the heartbeat.
Day 5-10: floating twitchy bean.
Day 12-16: best days for seeing toes.
Day 17-18: toes are harder to find as chicks reposition, but there's still a lot of unfilled space.
Day 19: drawdown begins. If you're marking air cells, this is when you see as much movement in a day as you did in the previous week.

Back
Top Bottom